1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

questions on insulated pipe

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by james abbruzzi, Nov 13, 2013.

1. james abbruzzi

james abbruzzi New Member

Loc:
    washington
    hello , first timer to the site. i am removing a wood stove that is in an alcove with pipe that runs straight up through a chimney. we are moving the location with a new cumberland gap stove. my question is can i use the old insulated pipe (looks like 25 feet). it is roughly 9 years old and i saw a sticker that said metal fab.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Welcome. Alcove installations have stricter rules for clearances, especially with a side door stove. Post some pictures of what is there and we can see if anything jumps out. And include the alcove dimensions.
  3. james abbruzzi

james abbruzzi New Member

Loc:
    washington
    right i was just wondering if 9 year old insulated pipe could be reused
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    "Possibly". We need to know more than just the brand. The MetalFab needs to be class A 2100::F HT pipe and clearances need to be honored. The old install may or may not have been done right. It's best not to duplicate an error if it wasn't done correctly in the first place. For example, in an alcove the Cumberland Gap needs to be connected with double-wall connector pipe, not single wall. The alcove needs to be at least 57" wide and 72" high for side-door operation.
  5. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    post us a picture of the label

typically yes, it can be re-used if its 2100* Class A pipe like Begreen mentioned