Questions on wet wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I have a nice sized stack of wood up by the that I have burning. We had a huge windstorm come through and knock it over. The rain followed the wind and then turn into snow. The next day I recovered what was standing and pickup most of what had fallen and put it on the back porch to keep it off the ground. I had been burning this wood so I know it's reasonably well seasoned. Now it's wet. Aside from it taking a little longer to catch fire, it seems to burn well. Am I ok to burn this stuff? I have been throwing it on a thick bed of coals and leaving the air control open until it catches really well. This usually takes about 5-10 mins longer than normal depending how many coals are in the stove. Once it's burning I really don't see much difference with it and how it burnt before it got well.

Am I ok with using it? Would puting a little cardboard in the stove when I reload help things out enough to use it?

Sounds like some surface water and you should be fine burning it. Keep the rest covered and it should be good as new in a few days, or should I say good as old!

Most of that water will just run off so you only have to evaporate just a little bit of it and that is why it takes longer to ignite. There is no problem with burning that wood immediately, but if you have a cat. then I'd suggest you wait an extra 5-10 minutes before turning the cat. on.

As for the cardboard idea, I'd surely pass on that.

Will burn fine, if your still concerned, add it in when the fire is good and hot a few pcs here & there.

Status
Not open for further replies.