Questions on wood pellets.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Jun 25, 2009
upstate NY 12025
Well I got my pre buy flier and pa pellets 239 a ton, appling county 249, dry creek 259. So I was thinking of trying woodpellets.com this year. They only offer two brands of pellets. Michigans and clean fire hardwood pellets. which ones are the best ones to buy? Never heard of them. All the dealers around have about thier prices the same so no drop in price from last year. I am just thinking about trying it dont plan on ordering anything forprobaly a month.

I'd say waiting a month could prove to be a good idea. As far as the two they offer.....not alot of good here on the Michigans....low heat, high ash, and as far as the Cleanfires, I see conflicting reports....some love 'em, some hate 'em....I guess they are a crap-shoot......so, do you feel lucky?

aren't the cleanfire's new england pellets, just different name?

chrisasst said:
aren't the cleanfire's new england pellets, just different name?

That's what I have heard. Rebagged NEWP's for the cleanfires. Just not sure if they are the NH. plant, or NY. plant? Or maybe both and that is what is causing the ????s and difference of opinions. NEWP NH plant, IMO is a better pellet than the NEWP NY plant!

Warm Front is again a NEWP pellet. Same ?????'s as above!

yes on both counts, Jtakeman.....Ive also heard they are both as well, and now, to muddy the waters, there are Cleanfire Pacifics, etc.....as far as quality, and in reading these forums, Ive seen opinions all over the board with them, from GREAT to AWFUL....

I just figured I would try to get updated opionns on these pellets . I think I will just wait. I just dont see pellets getting any cheaper around me.

The pellets coming out of the NY plant are of a better quality now (IMO) But the trick is getting the new pellets. I don't know when the issue started last year but my ruff estimate was that it started in August and ended in November. The customers that have purchased from us after January 1st have again been pleased with the product and told us it was back to the way it was in 08. You might want to badger some one with the NEWP in stock because I know what the price is and they can sell them for at least $225 and make around $40. We have them for $210 and located further from the plant than your dealers would be. Oh yea try them before buying the full ton and look for the date code on upper left hand corner looks like little pin hole and it is a 4 didget number. If it is 9225-9320 I would steer clear.

Presently NEWP's near me are $240/ton and Cleanfires are close to that from WP.com. With Hamers and Barefoots at $225 to $250 per ton. IMO I wouldn't even bother with them. Price way too high for me! I know that the Hamers and Barefoots quality is there. And there just plain better pellets. Just seems like a no brainer!

I am hoping I can get the Cubex in the $230 to $250 price range. :) Just in BT Ent. Has the Cubies for $230/ton. DEAL!

Meneillys Woodland Products said:
You might want to badger some one with the NEWP in stock because I know what the price is and they can sell them for at least $225 and make around $40. We have them for $210 and located further from the plant than your dealers would be. Oh yea try them before buying the full ton and look for the date code on upper left hand corner looks like little pin hole and it is a 4 didget number. If it is 9225-9320 I would steer clear.

I asked my local dealer about there pricing. There prices are $240 a ton due to what NEWP passed on as a deal and there transpertation cost's added. These are new batches, Not left over stock either. I believe these prices are area reflected or regional as they say. We see this every year, and generally are somewhat more than other area's near us.

Just my 2!
jay

Sure wish I could find bargain quality pellets like you lucky Easterners. There were a few bags of Golden Fire for $5.85 each at Lowe's the other day. I like the Heat'rs best but at over $300 they are pricy. Then there is 8.75% sales tax on top of that. At least I'm burning less than a bag a day now that it is warmer.

At least there are 4 months a year that are too warm to burn pellets inside. Gotta get one of those camping pellet heaters for summer. :)

Jay

jtakeman said:
You might want to badger some one with the NEWP in stock because I know what the price is and they can sell them for at least $225 and make around $40. We have them for $210 and located further from the plant than your dealers would be. Oh yea try them before buying the full ton and look for the date code on upper left hand corner looks like little pin hole and it is a 4 didget number. If it is 9225-9320 I would steer clear.

I asked my local dealer about there pricing. There prices are $240 a ton due to what NEWP passed on as a deal and there transpertation cost's added. These are new batches, Not left over stock either. I believe these prices are area reflected or regional as they say. We see this every year, and generally are somewhat more than other area's near us.

Just my 2!
jay

Yea it really does depend on how far from the plant you are. I know our cost to get them to the yard is $190 + $20 =$210 consumer price. I think the plant is about 52 miles from us. So his price is about right he just can't get a them at low cost due to shipping. Same reason I can't get the Okies costs to much to ship them to the middle of no place!

I'm not sure about that at least for the consumer I live just over an hour from Maine woods (even though I don't think I would buy them) and I can get a ton of Barefoot for about the same price actually 10 dollars more

It all boils down to how much profit the seller wants make. We add 20 on to the cost. The cubex pellets are cheaper from the plant than the NEWP but after shipping them from Canada they become $15 more expensive final cost to us. Then same thing with our delivery I worked it out and I can deliver pellets in about a 30 mile radius and make money but when some one is just around the corner I will normally give them a price break unless I know I have extra work to do for them. I think that might be part of woodpellet.com's problem also they deliver with a big rig that get at best 8 MPG so they have to have higher prices to cover fuel they also probably only have so many warehouses to ship from and they have to get pellets to all the warehouses more shipping cost.

Ugg, $20 per ton? Does that cover the forklift fuel, breakage, labor to load, insurance etc to move them? At $20 per ton, I wouldnt sell them at my shop. $50 per ton is the least I'd bother unloading and reloading a ton of pellets for. Now I know who the guys up the road are who are always undercutting my pellet prices ;) What do you charge to deliver a ton of pellets there Mr Meneilly?

Franks said:
Ugg, $20 per ton? Does that cover the forklift fuel, breakage, labor to load, insurance etc to move them? At $20 per ton, I wouldnt sell them at my shop. $50 per ton is the least I'd bother unloading and reloading a ton of pellets for. Now I know who the guys up the road are who are always undercutting my pellet prices ;) What do you charge to deliver a ton of pellets there Mr Meneilly?

Alot of work for less than 10% Gross.

Yup, math dont add up unless your working out of your garage or something..still what can you be netting, if you didnt pay yourself for labor..I guess.. if you also didnt carry insurance..no rent..say you move 1000 tons per year working out of your house, you can net what, maybe..$10,000 per year for moving a quarter million dollars worth of merchandise?

Thats the nice thing we had the forklift so that is payed for and they dont tend to break down. Had the land and already payed taxes on it. Had my truck bought the trailer. Sold 2060 tons last year. Delivery prices range depending how many you want. Cubex is $238 at the cheapest 4 tons and $249 for 1 ton delivery. NEWP is $223 at the cheap end and $235 on the high end. Don't worry I throw your name out for parts and such people seem to like your price on parts cheapest in the area Franks!. We worked it out and found we can make money at the $20 mark but only because we already had most of the stuff to start up. Oh yea and we will never get into coal so thats all yours lol.

sounds like you have it all figured out, Meneilly's! So, you dont sell stoves either, or do you? We sell coal as well, less shrinkage than pellets......I would love to know what type of lifts you use....ours break down all the time!

Nope don't sell stoves or parts just pellets. We want to focus on pellets and grow our customer base so we can make money on volume it is alot of work but it is a father son business so I don't mind working hard to make the money. We have only been in business for 2 years now and seem to be doing ok made money both years granted not much the first year. Forklift is a Mitsubishi FG25N propane fuel it runs great and we can unload and load 72 tons on a tank full that costs under $50 at times.

Nope don't sell stoves or parts just pellets. We want to focus on pellets and grow our customer base so we can make money on volume it is alot of work but it is a father son business so I don't mind working hard to make the money. We have only been in business for 2 years now and seem to be doing ok made money both years granted not much the first year. Forklift is a Mitsubishi FG25N propane fuel it runs great and we can unload and load 72 tons on a tank full that costs under $50 at times.
if i lived near you i would buy my pellets from you . you just seem like a good honest business man.

[/quote]
if i lived near you i would buy my pellets from you . you just seem like a good honest business man.[/quote]

Thank you for that. Most of our customers feel the same. We try our best to give good service at the best price we can, it all started because my father and I burn pellets also.

Thats the nice thing we had the forklift so that is payed for and they dont tend to break down. Had the land and already payed taxes on it. Had my truck bought the trailer. Sold 2060 tons last year. Delivery prices range depending how many you want. Cubex is $238 at the cheapest 4 tons and $249 for 1 ton delivery. NEWP is $223 at the cheap end and $235 on the high end. Don't worry I throw your name out for parts and such people seem to like your price on parts cheapest in the area Franks!. We worked it out and found we can make money at the $20 mark but only because we already had most of the stuff to start up. Oh yea and we will never get into coal so thats all yours lol.

Your a good man...

My stove shop has Energex at $235 plus $30 PER TON for delivery and I only live 3 miles from them.
Local hardware store has free Delivery but they are still $275 ton for NEWP.

Last fall I got barefoots from the local nursery... they were reasonable per ton and flat $40 for delivery so with 4 tons thats pretty fair.

Currently burning these and no issues here, not as much heat as Green team or the super heat output of Somersets..

well I order 5 ton of dry creek pellets @ 259 a ton. checked with other dealers and that is the going price for good pellets around here.

pelletizer said:
Currently burning these and no issues here, not as much heat as Green team or the super heat output of Somersets..

Don't you just love the Somersets.

Status
Not open for further replies.