Quick Electrical Wiring Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Trying to run 14-3 UF-B in the walls and around corner 2x4 wall studs.

Using the 3/4 inch wood blade going thru the wall studs work fine.

How do I get it around this corner? The holes meet but the wire is too stiff to bend around.

Also the wire is not long enough to go up top and around and down.

Any suggestions? See pic below:

Click to enlarge

Attachments

• TRHShed250WireCornerSC.jpg
    TRHShed250WireCornerSC.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 354
Put a bend in the wire before trying to put it through. It is kinda scary how close your hole is to the outside of the stud. It should be in the center where there is less of a chance of hitting the wire with a screw or nail.

Billy

Make your self a fish tape out of some other wire and attach it and pull it thrugh.

You could pull it through with some string. And be carefull when you hang the sheetrock, those holes are really too close.

Cowboy Billy said:
Put a bend in the wire before trying to put it through. It is kinda scary how close your hole is to the outside of the stud. It should be in the center where there is less of a chance of hitting the wire with a screw or nail.

Billy

Thanks

I know it is close to the outside but could not get to the middle of the stud with out a right angle on my drill. That is ok, there will not be any nails or screws driven in there.

I tried putting a bend in it but no luck. What else can be done?

Make a fish tape out of a single conductor and attach it to the other wire and pull it through the hole, wont be easy with that stiff wire and you will have to attach it real good, a pies of rope will work also just use the fish tape to pull it through.

How much wire do you have to spare? If you can afford a bit, peel back the outer insulation, and expose the three wires individually, and pull them through one at a time. Once they are through, pull the rest of the wire (then cut off the three individual wires. It might cost you a few inches, but it may save some grief.

I will make it simple
Take something you can get through the hole
Attach it to the wire
Pull

You need nail plates on both studs

Aaron Pasteris said:
You need nail plates on both studs
+1 The next owner would not know to be as careful. Be safe.
Ed

Why are you running UF wire indoors? It's much much much easier to work with normal Romex wire.

In any case, prebend the wire and with a bit of patience and wrestling it, it will go through. Also easier if the holes are 7/8". Might be worth enlarging them. Just use a piece of scrap wood, bore through it, then screw it to your stud over the small hole. It will act as a guide.

I used this one when I did my wiring project this summer: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

As luck would have it I hit a few nails here and there from the outside sheathing and it didn't mess the bit up too much.

sometimes you can get around a corner in stages by stripping it back staggered, getting just one wire through first then progressively more.

Make yourself a 1" hole, or just go ahead and notch the studs. Either way be sure to use a couple nail plates.

Hello

Wow, thanks for all the good suggestions, I will give them a try tomorrow.

Hello

Well, I did it. Had to pull out the old right angle for the drill to ream out the hole to a better angle and also stripped the wires and put a bend in them!!

The reason it is UF-B is that it comes right out of the ground and is long enough to go to the switch box. Not worth splicing in Romex!

Thanks all

See pics below! As you can see it is tight!

Click to enlarge

Attachments

• TRHShed260-3Way (1)sc.jpg
    TRHShed260-3Way (1)sc.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 212
  • TRHShed260-3Way (2)sc.jpg
    TRHShed260-3Way (2)sc.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 198
Just a question, is that wall going to be rocked? If so, i don't think you can have any unexposed junction boxes.

absolutely put on nail plates.
They're about $.50/ea and can save you a house fire if you mistakenly drive a nail/screw in there.
You may not do it now, or in 5 years, maybe in 10 years you'll forget... or maybe someone else will... nail plates are cheap, keep your house to code, and... keep your house from burning down. :|

EJL923 said:
Just a question, is that wall going to be rocked? If so, i don't think you can have any unexposed junction boxes.

No sheet rock, this is just a shed. I may put some paneling, but if I do I would put an access panel or just a piece of paneling screwed on for access.

Hass said:
absolutely put on nail plates.
They're about $.50/ea and can save you a house fire if you mistakenly drive a nail/screw in there.
You may not do it now, or in 5 years, maybe in 10 years you'll forget... or maybe someone else will... nail plates are cheap, keep your house to code, and... keep your house from burning down. :|

If I put up paneling I sure will but that is not in my current plan for the shed. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.