Quick Englander 13-NCMH question ... (Corie, Mike??)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisnnik

Nov 6, 2007
Southern NH
I am just looking for clarification on clearances from the manual. On PAGE 6 of the manual, the "D" distance (stove rear corner) is defined as "13.5 inches for Single-wall - no heat shields" and "8.5 inches for Double-wall - w/ heat shields". The "E" distance (stove pipe) is defined as "24.5 inches for Single-wall - no heat shields" and "18 inches Double-wall - w/ heat shields". My stove is as follows:

D distance (measured from the STOVE BODY, not the shield, is 10" from a durock/tile protective wall with a 1 inch airgap all around. Stove body is 12" from the sheetrock behind this wall. My stove pipe (single wall, 22 gauge) is 25" from the ceiling, and 21" from either wall. I am installing the side heat shields tomorrow regardless, but I want to make sure that what I have done is OK, because it doesn't state clearly if the "single/double wall" refers to the wall or the stove pipe, and there is no option "with heat shields and single wall pipe". It's too confusing ... help me ease my mind!

Thanks guys.

Hey Chris,

Sorry I'm late getting to this thread. I just don't have the time at work to really check these threads and actually write reasonable answers with everything that is going on. Obviously this our busy season, so I'm going in 90 different directions throughout the day.

Anywho, here's the straight scoop:

So, single/double wall refers to the chimney connector pipe. With heat shields but single wall pipe retain the same clearances as without the side heat shields because the stovepipe is the reason the stove cannot be any closer to the wall. Since the stove was not tested with single wall stove pipe and the heat shields, it must default to the standard single wall stove pipe clearances as shown in the manual.

Although you have the wall shields, we have no testing data with wall shields in the manual and so I cannot tell you that the installation is safe because you under the recommend clearances specified in the manual. In your case, it sounds like what you really need to do is change the single wall out to double wall stove pipe. In that case, you'll meet all of the clearances and your local building inspector should have no problem signing off on the installation.

I'm sorry to be a stickler, or to walk on egg shells with this issue, but you have to understand that as the manufacturer I cannot recommend you make an installation that isn't exactly to the specifications in our manual.

Thanks ... that is pretty much what I thought, the manual was just a bit vague. Now that I know the single/double is def. the pipe, it makes perfect sense ...

i'll look in the 211 tomorrow, i think you are ok by that , if i remember correctly nfpa 211 9.5.2.1 table allows with the proper materials and a 1 inch air space a reduction in clearance of 66% or to 6 inches whichever is greater, now dont quote me yet as im not actually quoting but working from memory , i can look up tomorrow when i get in the office and post from there to confirm/deny lol keep an eye out on this thread

I sure will - thanks for looking. Everything is "covered" if you will by the protective wall EXCEPT for 12" vertical of the stove pipe. That section is 21" from sheetrock. It's single wall, and we'd rather not use double if we don't have to. Pic should help make sense ...

Attachments

• DSC04780_2.JPG
    DSC04780_2.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 560
Dang good looking stove and install. Welcome to the E family.

Just to clarify, I do think that the install is safe and that the clearance reduction shields you put up will allow you to reduce clearances according the NFPA 211. I was speaking purely as a representative of the manufacturer at that point. Ultimately the decision will be up to your building inspector. Although Mike will be able to find wording that will deem what you've done safe, you have to be certain your building inspector is willing to go along with that.

Hope that helps. One the up side, the installation looks fantastic! That's the same color my bedroom used to be. I'm jealous because your installation is a LOT nicer looking than my 13NC installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.