Quick question for a friend...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

A friend of mine is considering purchasing a pellet stove. He has a new, 2 story house (26X26) with a central staircase. He plans on putting the stove on the main floor with the idea that he will use it as a main source of heat (with electricity for backup).

He is looking for a 2 sided (does this exist?? Like a gas fireplace...) stove. Any suggestions for best bang for your buck type of stove?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Hey guys

A friend of mine is considering purchasing a pellet stove. He has a new, 2 story house (26X26) with a central staircase. He plans on putting the stove on the main floor with the idea that he will use it as a main source of heat (with electricity for backup).

He's probably gonna need 50K btu (input) MINIMUM, & the upstairs will take awhile to get heated up. What he wants to do is possible, but not easy. Ceiling fans & floor fans will be needed...

He is looking for a 2 sided (does this exist?? Like a gas fireplace...) stove.

Haven't seen a pellet unit with this design, but maybe someone else has

Any suggestions for best bang for your buck type of stove?

Like I said above, 50K btu MIN. That size unit doesn't come cheap. If he buys used, he might get something at a reasonable price, but buying someone else's problems can come back & bite...

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Thanks Daksy...

I think he simply wants to heat the space he is using. IF the heat is able to rise upstairs, so be it. However I don't think it is a priority in his choices of stove.

What stoves are the most recommended out there? Since a pellet stove is more mechanical than a wood stove, what ones seem to be the most reliable?

Andrew

Common misconception is they are unreliable. Lots of stoves are over 10 yrs old and still operating on factory parts.

With that said, I will X2 on Daksys comments. 50,000 BTU or better. And if he wants a Cadillac, Then Harman would be my choice (budget aside). But Quadrafire, Enviro, Englander, Etc all make good units. All depends on the buyers budget, styling, and and install (how close to a window/Some units need to be farther than others).

What is there budget? Best Bang. . . I would either do CL looking, or a Rebuilt 25-EP from AMFM Energy (Englander Refurb unit w/ Full factory warranty). Delivered w/ a vent kit for around $1,500.... Pretty nice looking unit.

Have him Google image the Englander 25-EP or go AMFM and look at there refurb units.

Here is a link to the EP. Nice bay window design http://www.amfmenergy.com/55trpep--epa-certified-pellet-stove--2000552000.html

I'm heating a 30x32 2 story with stove on first floor.

There is about a 4 degree differential between 1st and 2nd floor. (only ceiling fans running on low)

No double sided units that I'm aware of.

Just to support smoke show's statement here....In all of my recent shoppings over the course of the past year, I've never seen a "2-Sided" pellet stove either.

Status
Not open for further replies.