Quick Question - Supporting Roxul/Durock?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmola

Oct 26, 2014
The Mitten
I'm gonna insulate the rear wall of my fireplace (chimney on exterior wall) with a layer of Roxul, then cover it with a piece of durock. It's vertical for about the first foot, then slopes inward towards the top. Question is what is the best way to go about fastening or supporting this to the rear wall? Thanks

Steel studs are very easy to use and will support durock. Use the correct fasteners (screws) for it.

If you tapcon or masonry anchor and then screw it will compress the roxul which will reduce its insulative value. It's more work, but if you cut 3" sections of 1/2" metal pipe (copper or EMT conduit) you can use them as spacers with long decking screws.

Yes, steel drywall studs work fine. I used them when I built my stone wall behind the stove. There are at least 3 different depths available and they are very easy to work with. I don't see any problems with begreen's suggestion, except that the weight wil be carried by the floor where the durock sits since long screws with spacers won't hold much vertical weight.. With steel studs, the wall will hold most of the weight and the floor will hold some. You can also allow for an air gap if you want and I would use metal lathe to keep the roxul from filling the entire space.

Good point. I was thinking of the firebox floor supporting all the weight and the screws with spacers just holding the sheet in place . It wouldn't take more than 3-4 screws to do the job. Use flat washers on the screw heads to stop them from pulling through.

If you tapcon or masonry anchor and then screw it will compress the roxul which will reduce its insulative value. It's more work, but if you cut 3" sections of 1/2" metal pipe (copper or EMT conduit) you can use them as spacers with long decking screws.

Or just break sections of the Durock off to make spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.