Quick question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Apr 4, 2007
I had a heathstone heritage installed in late spring, Im excited to learn how to use it. I say this because I had a morgan insert installed and it did not work out well at all. That in its self is an old story. Anyway, I was painting my house last week and rented a 45 foot boom lift, while I was on the chimney side I thought I would take a look at the install. I noticed that along the one side of the top chimney plate there is about a 1" gap. Is this a problem, should that plate have covered the whole top of the chimney? Am I going to lose heat out of that? Should I call the installer and ask why a larger plate was not installed? I wonder if they thought that I would never know the difference, which I would not have, had I not had the lift to paint? Thoughts?

I belive by code it is supposed to be sealed up there. Also wont water leak down on top of your insert if its open?

Darn right it should cover the whole flue. If for no other reason than a lot of your heat is heading straight up that chimney to the sky. And also the top needs to be sealed to hold the temp in the chimney so the liner does not run too cool and get gunked up.

Do you have a bottom block off plate in the top of the fireplace firebox? With a free standing stove like the Heritage you really need one to hold the heat from the stove in the house even with the top plate sealed as it should be after that installer climbs back up there and fixes that installation right.

buckeye said:
I had a heathstone heritage installed in late spring, Im excited to learn how to use it. I say this because I had a morgan insert installed and it did not work out well at all. That in its self is an old story. Anyway, I was painting my house last week and rented a 45 foot boom lift, while I was on the chimney side I thought I would take a look at the install. I noticed that along the one side of the top chimney plate there is about a 1" gap. Is this a problem, should that plate have covered the whole top of the chimney? Am I going to lose heat out of that? Should I call the installer and ask why a larger plate was not installed? I wonder if they thought that I would never know the difference, which I would not have, had I not had the lift to paint? Thoughts?

Yup - only repeating what everone else said. As far as "Should I call the installer and ask why a larger plate was not installed?" I'd maybe rephase that a bit, and maybe say - "get over here now and put a larger plate to seal it up right - that's what I paid for". Did you take a picture of it up there, by the way, unless there is something missing from the description - it sounds like they didn't do a good job.

Jobs like this beggs the questions what other short cuts they took go back up ther and shoot a photo a picture is worth a thousand words and proof you got short changed

Status
Not open for further replies.