quick wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal MA
whilst at a coworker's house, they offered up some free wood- not being one to turn down such an offer, i took it (there is a lot more, so i'll have to make a couple of trips, should it be worthwhile..). im not sure what it is. i havnt tried to split it yet, but thought id throw up some pictures see if you folks had any ideas! unfortunately i have no leaves to go by, and i could find similar trees on their land to compare it to (i think they got it dropped off at some point, perhaps? or inherited it with the house?). but anyways, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 130
Looks like black birch to me, good BTU's , best to get it split so the bark will not trap moisture and cause it to rot.

I would check it for being punky before taking it all,looks like it has been around for a while.

Birch, Black

Reactions: ScotO
just split the stuff i took- no sign of rot- i know some was stacked on the ground, so ill check for that.. when i splt it, the back seemed to separate from the wood pretty easy, should i bother taking it off, or should splitting it be enough to stave off the rot?

The only black birch I've seen had rough bark that looked exactly like a black cherry, but smelled of wintergreen. Google images does show bark like that though. A big birch like that must have been a wonderful thing to cut. The only tree in my area that has smooth bark and grows that large in my immediate area is beech, and you aren't looking at that.

I'd look for similar trees on their property and stick my knife into it. If the blade comes out smelling like wintergreen you know it's black birch.

Matt

Looks like Popple (cotton wood) to me.

Ehouse

I had a logger friend of mine at the house and he told me it was black birch and mine looks just like that and it does smell minty.

You have Black Birch in Scary county? The one I saw was in Cobleskill, but was planted there. I didn't know it grew there.

Matt

You have Black Birch in Scary county? The one I saw was in Cobleskill, but was planted there. I didn't know it grew there.

Matt
I thought they were small beech trees but my logger friend said they were black birch. I can post pics later.

Looks to be birch.
Get it split soon, so it can dry in the center, it's just a few months from going punky, if your temps stays warm ;)

Get it. Split it and enjoy.

Yeppers, that is black birch. Burns alot like maple. Tons of birch switches on top of the mountain, when we're deer hunting the top of the mountain I'll always snap a twig off of those black birchs and chew on it. Love that minty flavor....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.