Quiet bang when auger is turning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
I just took my right rear panel off my P61A because I was hearing a clicking noise that was happening once in a while when the auger was turning. I figured out that it was making that noise most every time the Feeder Cam Block (Item 3.16) finishs moving the Feeder Gear Motor Bracket w/ Grommet (Item 3.15). Any ideas?

Something is stuck in the auger path (probably fines) and/or the auger motor is not lined up properly with the gears and is causing the chain to catch.

FredDels said:
Something is stuck in the auger path (probably fines) and/or the auger motor is not lined up properly with the gears and is causing the chain to catch.

Where is the chain? I haven't looked too much up in the back of the stove. It has quieted down a bit (not as often) There weren't many pellets in the hopper at the time it started.

I have the same model stove P61A. Mine does the same and produces a dull thud here and there. I was thinking the same that something temporarily held up the auger from turning. For instance, a pellet thats halfway into the feeder tube from the hopper. I was thinking it was the noise of the auger breaking through whatever was in its path. Doesnt seem to have any ill effects as far as I can tell so far.

I think that your auger system is the same as my P38, no chain. Someone correct me if wrong.. The tinkle of pellets, some grinding noise, and an occasional clunk or thud , all I was told is normal. Already had the auger motor replaced for squealing, thats where I drew the line..

that squealing is a line drawer for sure, you know those post are soon to come. As far has this post, no chain that I have ever seen on my p68. I think I know the noise the OP is speaking of I've heard it before as well, for me it's been long pellets getting broken up, Harman stoves are great , however they have there issues in some areas, and one is bridgeing of pellets were long pellets can stop the stove cold in it's tracks by getting stuck in the slide plate. all of this will stop if you only use short pellets.

mepellet said:
I just took my right rear panel off my P61A because I was hearing a clicking noise that was happening once in a while when the auger was turning. I figured out that it was making that noise most every time the Feeder Cam Block (Item 3.16) finishs moving the Feeder Gear Motor Bracket w/ Grommet (Item 3.15). Any ideas?

See if the unusually long bolt that secures the feeder cam block is not rubbing on the feeder gear motor bracket or the feeder pusher arm (can't remember which one). Mine was making that noise until the bolt head wore a groove. Doh!

My Avalon does this. It's usually fines or a rogue pellet that causes the auger to "screw" itself forward and load up. When the threading action stops the tensioner on the auger snaps back with a bang/pop/thud with varying levels of noise.

I have an Enviro Mini, it's auger is gear box driven, and it to does make a occasional dull thud. I accepted as it being a normal part of operation as the auger is breaking a pellet wedging it self some where in between the auger and the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.