1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Racoon in my wood pile

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Fiziksgeek, Nov 22, 2012.

1. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    I use Air rifles .22 cal. 14 to 20+ grain pellets at 800-1000 fps. Head shots for coons ( they tough rascals) very little noise vs powder burners. CB longs in a .22 pistol ( single shot) are pretty quiet also good for 25 yards or so, again head shots.
    Coyotes are becoming a bigger problem than the coons and chipmunks, and getting very bold, one by itself I do not worry much about, but anything more is a problem requiring remediation.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

22 long rifle, hollow point. The .17 HMR with ballistic tips make too much of a mess on the exit wound......;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Fiziksgeek

Fiziksgeek Member

Loc:
    Oxford, CT
    Well, I don't thiink they'll be any coon deaths in my yard. Pulled my wife's bird feeder in for a few days and left the tarp pulled back, didn' seen him last night, will keep it uncovered, except when expecting rain....I think he'll just move on...
  4. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    That sounds like the easiest solution. Hope it works out. There is one in my neighborhood that come through and knock over the trash cans every few weeks. I have been working on a better way to secure the can and may have out done him now. We'll see...