Radiant vs Convection... pros/cons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NHcpa

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Honyock NH
Give your situation/reasoning why one over the other should be a choice when making a stove decision. This will most likely consider room considerations (mass) and ability to heat and retain heat, steel vs cast, fan/ no fan, cat vs no cat, other... Once you made your position, give 3 stove choices (area size not relavent) unless you determine so.

Last edited:
Your asking to fit this whole forum in one post lol, read around

Reactions: saydinli
Yes

No

Stove ******, Stove ************ and Stove ***** (names blacked out to protect the innocent and be impartial)

On a serious note . . . as others have said . . . a good search should bring up several threads on the pros- and cons- of the different stoves, building materials of the stoves, etc.

In general, I would think soapstone stoves would be the most radiant type, like most of Woodstock's lineup. Next, cast iron, and then steel wood stoves. And stoves that incorporate many firebrick inside would also be more radiant than those with only a few or none. Thermal mass around the stove area, like stone or brick, would also be radiant heat absorbers.

Basic steel and cast iron stoves are the most strongly radiant. Unless they have side and rear shields, these stoves typically have higher clearance requirements due to their high radiance. Soapstone are typically less so.

I thought radiant heat was a product of how much heat could be absorbed into the material. Soapstone would absorb and hold more than steel.

Heat absorption and radiation are two different things. Radiation by definition is the emission and propagation of energy in the form of rays or waves.
Soapstone has relatively low thermal conductivity compared to metals like steel or cast iron. Soapstone does have high specific heat capacity, but that is a different property.

I feel my Woodstock progress is a very radiant heater. That being said, I don’t have a lot to compare it to besides some 80’s blaze kings.

I feel my Woodstock progress is a very radiant heater. That being said, I don’t have a lot to compare it to besides some 80’s blaze kings.
Indeed it is. All wood stoves are radiant to some degree or another. With a 750º fire and a 1200º cat in a big firebox the stove is definitely going to throw some heat.

Heat can be transferred by 1. conduction, 2. radiation, 3. convection. The ability of a stove to conduct heat depends on the thermal conductivity of its material constituents. In general, heat transfer from a stove by conduction is not desirable. The ability of a stove to radiate heat depends on the thermal emissivity of its material constitutents. The ability of a stove to convect heat is more dependent on a stove's geometric properties (and the presence/absence of a blower to move air) than its physical properties.

All stoves transfer heat by all three modes of heat transfer. Some are designed for one of either the radiation or convection modes of heat transfer to be the primary mode.

Reactions: Highbeam and NHcpa