Radiator type?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

flameretardant

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
canada
Hey all, how are you now?

I found a cast iron radiator but I have never seen one in this configuration: 2 bottom connections on the same side. The rad was specially cast with 2 bulbous spots specifically for this arrangement. I'm thinking steam? I need a hot water rad and I am guessing this one wouldn't work? Thanks for any help.

Post a picture for best results
Where in Canada are you?

Hey all, how are you now?

I found a cast iron radiator but I have never seen one in this configuration: 2 bottom connections on the same side. The rad was specially cast with 2 bulbous spots specifically for this arrangement. I'm thinking steam? I need a hot water rad and I am guessing this one wouldn't work? Thanks for any help.
It would work for hot water if it goes in one fitting, through the rad and out the other.
For steam, there were single pipe, two pipe AND two pipe with air vent systems.
The two pipe with air vent have different size steam connections, it "can" flow either way, but the larger side has less resistance, so that becomes the inlet. It works due to the air vent at top.
True two pipe radiators use thermostatic steam traps on the radiators.
As long as there is a fitting at each end of the circulating path, you can connect hot water in and out. Is there any fitting at the top for an air vent?

Thanks for replies I will get pics when I get home next week. 'preciate it! Never thought to look at the vent type. It's in Fernie...