1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Rain on frozen roads, AAARG

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by bogydave, Dec 1, 2011.

1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Big mess in my driveway, ice rink.
    It's raining, some snow mixed in.
    38°f, road surfaces in the 20° range + rain = ice.
    All unplowed packed snow roads will be iced over.
    Gonna be a mess here.
    But it's warm :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

Could not believe how warm it was last night when I got home. At least 20F, and the air had a texture to it like a caress--it had a body, a presence. . . hope that it doesn't get so warm that it melts here.

Last year at this time we had three days of rain, and we had a mess the rest of the winter. A few folks died down on the Parks because of the ice. Wishing you all the best, hoping folks slow down and take it easy and stay safe.
  3. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Turned to snow. Got about a 2" on top of the ice.
    It's better than just ice. To happen again Sat & Sun.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sounds nasty up there Dave.
  5. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I'd rather it not get over 30° all winter.
    Lots of "ditch divers" on the roads today. :(
    Sand trucks out in force.
    But it's warm :)
    Noaa Forecast:

Saturday: Snow likely before noon, then rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a east wind between 16 and 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: Rain likely before 9pm, then rain and snow likely between 9pm and midnight, then rain likely after midnight. Cloudy and breezy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
  6. nate379

nate379 Guest

I thought you lived not far from me?

We didn't get any rain here or at work (Anchorage). Snowed 3-4" and was fairy warm (low 30s) but no rain and no ice yet. It's 26* right now. Was 87* in the house when I got home because the guy I rent to packed the stove right full like I showed him... Forgot to mention when it's warm out that 2-3 pieces is PLENTY!

7. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I never thought it was going to rain either, last I checked 28 degrees,
    neighbor called & said look outside around 7 PM or so, Rain & 38°, freezing on the driveway & deck. An hour later wet snow rain mix then just snow.
    Weather site had warnings out for freezing rain, for Palmer/Wasilla area till midnight. We got it. Yuck.

Lucky you,
    Hope it misses you & me both Sat & Sun . :)
  8. nate379

nate379 Guest

That was last night? I came home from work around 10PM and the roads where fine other than a bit of slush from the small amount of snow that had fell and it being fairly warm.

The weather here is weird though.

This summer I was working on something outside and needed a few parts. I head down to Lowe's, about 15 min drive and it's pouring rain there. Sky is almost black and the rain drops are so big it sounds like hail banging on the hood and roof of the trucl. Wipers on high and can barely see. I get what I need quick and haul back home to put my tools away. Never had any rain, was sunny and cloudless the rest of the day.

Just a couple weeks ago the bossman called me to go in so the guys could plow. They got like 8" of snow at work, nothing at all at my house, just ~40 miles away.