1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

RAIN!!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by lukem, Jul 10, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    We just got about 3" of rain in a little over an hour. Crazy.

There's a small river running through my yard at the moment, and we've never had any type of drainage issues...ever.

There was a lot of strong wind too...I'd guess 60-75 MPH. No damage other than it knocked down all my corn and 4 tomato stakes. :mad:

More getting even from last year...I guess.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

pics or it never happened...
    Defiant and Hills Hoard like this.
  3. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

These storms have been insane. The rain over the past 2.5 months is enough to make you wonder. I'll be keeping an eye on the tropical storm hitting florida right now. want to see if it tracks north in the next week like they all seem to do anymore. Well, as for your back yard, I'd break out the swimmies:)
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Corn is probably a lost cause flat on the ground and the dirt is like soup. Should be able to stand the maters back up in a couple days once the ground firms up some. Roof is still on and no water in the basement.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Crazy weather.
    Keep your wood dry & "Anchored down" :)
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Lukem, I was watching the radar when that storm was passing through and even emailed a friend down there. Said they were under a watch at the time.

That storm is still moving east and it looks like a long line of heavy stuff at the start of it.
  7. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    My boss is in Carmel, IN. We were on the phone earlier today and I could hear the rain hitting his windows. His young daughters screamed with every clap of thunder, sounded awful. I was just on the phone with a collegue outside of Columbus, OH and she hasn't had power for a few hours now. There are storms headed this way for sure so I won't be watering the garden tonight.
  8. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    We got another inch or so this afternoon. No terrible storm, but a little breezy. Quite a bit of my corn is laying down, and some tomatoes, too.

This make 20 days in a row with measurable rain here. Thing is, it has been anywhere from .5-1.5". No floods, no nasty storms. My garden is crazy, though the weeds are getting bad because I can't get in it. Crops look amazing. Except for a lot of wheat laying on the ground. It should be in the bin by now.
  9. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Our early broccoli and cabbage are rotting at the main head, from water pooling, we've had so much rain. The woods garden (at my place as opposed to the large garden I do at a friend's farm) is so wild/jungle/mosquito-ey I can't really get in it. The flowers are gorgeous, especially the lobelias which love the water, and the roses, which love the humid air.
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Haven't seen much at all for the past couple weeks. June was the same way. This is a dry summer so far.
  11. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I could not believe the downpour that woke me up night before last. This stuff just keeps coming and keeps coming. Looks like a few days of dry or just small showers coming.

And hot like Hades and humid like a swamp.
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Completely the opposite here. A cool front came through a couple nights ago. Sunny and 60F right now. Supposed to get up to about 75F, low humidity. C'mon over. :)
  13. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Rain looks to be done here for a while. My garden is soaked and it is starting to take its toll on the tomatoes (bottom leaves getting a lot of wilt).

Supposed to be low 90's and sunny all week. With plenty of moisture already in the soil it should be good growing weather.

All my corn stood itself back up. I'm glad it did, but am not sure how it pulled it off.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I'm not sure what part of Indiana your in but you might have a cold front moving in on Saturday or Sunday.

OUTLOOK: ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE AFTERNOON
    WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY...WITH MORE NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS ON
    SATURDAY AND SUNDAY AS A COLD FRONT MOVES THROUGH THE REGION. WHILE
    WIDESPREAD SEVERE WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME...A FEW OF
    THE STRONGER STORMS MAY PRODUCE GUSTY WINDS. THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE
    SLOW MOVERS...AND TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS AND LOCALIZED FLASH FLOODING
    IS POSSIBLE. ALL THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE CAPABLE OF DANGEROUS
    LIGHTNING
  15. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    That must be north of here. Just heat and humidity here all week. Dew point is 72 right now. Feels like you are taking a shower when you walk outside.
    zap likes this.
  16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Same weather here, after all the rain I can't complain.