Raking coals forward

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
I read about this being done a lot on this forum and was just wondering why do this? I level my bed out and put wood on top, thinking this is the best way to get the entire load involved before closing the bypass to the cat. Is it preferable to rake them forward for some reason? A longer burn time?

It is so the log that would be put in the back would burn later in the burn cycle, therefore longer burn time.

My particular stove has an air wash for the glass door and I noticed that if I pull a big pile of coals forward before a reload they burn down to ash a lot better AND the resulting heat is transmitted and radiated through the door glass.......

Plus for those of you concerned about over heat situation its alot less likely to happen if you dont have all your wood catching fire at the same time.

I am officially addicted to this site! LOL... i have been doing the same thing as the initial guy. Going to try to pull all coals forward and see how it works out!

RORY12553 said:
I am officially addicted to this site! LOL... i have been doing the same thing as the initial guy. Going to try to pull all coals forward and see how it works out!
you will benefit by pulling the coals forward.........and yes this site is addicting......you'll be a wood-geek before you know it!

Ok for those who load North/South you dont rake forward but rake the coals towards the side of the stove that the door opens. So you can then load a big split North/South on the other side with no hot coals under it.

Why the side that the door opens, since thats the side that will have the kindling and hot coals and if you need to crack the door slightly to get things fired up then the air goes right in on the coals.

How would this effect north south load would slow it down? I don't rake the coals forward this would keep my stove from over heating? I only burn about three splits im wondering if i could load more with this method.

You might be able to load more as what I find, is since I open an area up all the way to the bottom of stove, I then can usually get 3 splits high loading all the way to the bottom but I have to choose my splits wisely as I have alot that are like about 4" almost square nice for stacking 3 high. The reason it will or could help with stove running away on you is that it prevents all the wood igniteing all at once as its usually the wood sitting on hot coals that ignites first so now with this method you have some of your wood not siting on hot coals.

For reference:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/88352/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/88397/

CK-1 said:
Alot of inserts have air ports in the front of the stove. Once the coals are moved forward, wood loaded and door closed, the air from the ports increases the glow of the coals and lights the wood.

That's why I do it- quicker starts. I do it when burning down as well- getting more air at the remaining coals

Huntindog1 said:
You might be able to load more as what I find, is since I open an area up all the way to the bottom of stove, I then can usually get 3 splits high loading all the way to the bottom but I have to choose my splits wisely as I have alot that are like about 4" almost square nice for stacking 3 high. The reason it will or could help with stove running away on you is that it prevents all the wood igniteing all at once as its usually the wood sitting on hot coals that ignites first so now with this method you have some of your wood not siting on hot coals.

For reference:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/88352/

Thank you. I see my mistake by not raking the coals i am allowing the whole load to out gas at once.

My Endeavor I used to always rake the coals forward, this was to achieve the "cigar" burn from front to back when loading N/S. It also helped to keep the fire from going nuclear on me. With the BK I may pull some forward out of habit but it's not needed since the control of the fire is never in doubt.(to this point anyway) I find I can char a new load in the BK faster if I load on top of the coals spread out.

rdust said:
My Endeavor I used to always rake the coals forward, this was to achieve the "cigar" burn from front to back when loading N/S. It also helped to keep the fire from going nuclear on me. With the BK I may pull some forward out of habit but it's not needed since the control of the fire is never in doubt.(to this point anyway) I find I can char a new load in the BK faster if I load on top of the coals spread out.

Also i think by raking the coals forward i may keep my house from getting to hot and improve burn times.

HollowHill said:
I read about this being done a lot on this forum and was just wondering why do this? I level my bed out and put wood on top, thinking this is the best way to get the entire load involved before closing the bypass to the cat. Is it preferable to rake them forward for some reason? A longer burn time?

HollowHill, you definitely do not have to rake the coals forward. In our Fireview, about the only time I do that is when stocking up for the night burn. During the daytime when not as much heat is needed we also rarely fill the stove then but for the coals, we just level them off and then add the wood. The new wood will get started faster by leveling off the coals vs pushing toward the front. So it depends upon what you wish to achieve when you load the stove.

For overnight stoking I usually rake the coals forward to create a "cigar burn" as oldspark put it. In the morning I rake the coals forward to get the fire going again.

Throughout the day I normally just toss a couple of splits on top of the coals. On mild days however, I almost let the fire go out and then rake the coals forward to get it going again.

I spread them out so the new load will sit flat.

I load the stove 2x a day. Around midnight-1 AM when I get home from work and again around 1-2PM before leaving for work. Holds the house at 70-75* all day without trouble.
It's only when it gets warm outside, anything over 30ish, that I can only put 2-3 logs in instead of a full load cause it will really overheat the house.

I sometimes level the coals . . . and sometimes rake the coals forward -- when I want a fast start or want to burn down the coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.