Ram full of cherry? Please assist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
I thought for sure this stuff was going to split easy, it is a type of cherry I am guessing. It has been laying in a field for quite one time and had no bark on it, it has tones if tiny branchlets, and the fiskars gets stuck in the wood, it is bright purple in the center. The purple MC is 17% in the center, while the middle outer part is 30%plus. If anyone can give some input on this particular species, please do.... Ty image.jpg image.jpg

Make some really small splits and put'em in the closets.

Reactions: ScotO
Really? Wow, any info you can give would be great....

+2 on cedar. I've only seen one but it looked just like that.

Pete

Really? Wow, any info you can give would be great....
Huh. Shows about the same output as Cherry. Shoots sparks. Supposed to make great kindling; They use it to make SuperCedars, after all. ==c

Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper.

Attachments

• Eastern Red Cedar 11-19-2012 Husky 288XPW.jpg
    Eastern Red Cedar 11-19-2012 Husky 288XPW.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 158
Cedar.

The stuff burns great. Pops like crazy. Is ready to burn instantly if its been dead for a year prolly 6 months after its split when its green. I cut a few treed every so often. Makes a good starter wood.

Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper.
Nice pic, do you do anything with that wood that you split like that?
Thanks all for helping me to understand what I have...

He always talks about bowls and things . But like was mentioned he does lots with his wood.

Reactions: Shane N
Definitely red cedar.....smells great! Good shoulder season/morning start up wood.

And yes, Thistle is a woodworking MASTER.......great guy with a TON of knowledge.
Now, sliver some of that cedar up and pack it away in a box.....makes fantastic fire starters! I've got a big round of it I plan on making some noodles (for putting in a bag in the wife's blanket chest) and the rest will become firestarters....

Yep, that's cedar.

Found some from Sandy last fall. Seasons quick.

Great thanks...

Ha, actually it didn't smell all too good when first split yesterday, then I smelled it this morning, it was very faint but yes it smelled like cedar, I do have a cedar closet in my attic, when you open the door, it is super strong

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
There you go Ram. You can now add one more to your list of trees that you are knowledgeable with. Learn only 3 or 4 per year and they will add up fast. You might even do better and learn even more every year but once you get a dozen or so, you'll know most of the wood that is in your area.

In college we learned like 160 in a semester!!

Your right Dennis, it has been a good first for me, I was fortunate to acquire maple, black locust, beech, sugar maple, alittle cherry, some tulip and now cedar, I am learning and very fortunate, thank you for teaching me, thank you all....

No one has yet addressed the 600-lb. gorilla in the room....Where was your nose during all of this?? ;lol
Woody... I fired up the pit with some pieces of this cedar, all I can say is wow!!! I have found my outdoor firewood till I get sick of smelling it, I mean it smells soooooo awesome.....

Yes, I bet awesome bro. I need to experiment...

Status
Not open for further replies.