1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ram not retracting 5T electric log splitter.

Post in 'The Gear' started by Auzzie Gumtree, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Auzzie Gumtree

Auzzie Gumtree Feeling the Heat

just got a second hand 5t log splitter. Ran it for approx 15 mins with the bleed screw closed. The ram will not retract back to its starting position. it stays about half way. It will still run forwards but not back.

I have filled up the oil and tried running it with no log with the bleed screw open but it still wont go back even if you try pushing it. Also tried realigning the valves as the pic below but that didn't help. I think it can either be oil which isn't being drained or the spring which is isn't working.

Any ideas?

splitt7.jpg CAM00086.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ryobi-wont-retract.86215/ this might help..

Ray
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Spring or alignment (in a bind) my guess.
  4. Auzzie Gumtree

Auzzie Gumtree Feeling the Heat

Just managed to take the splitter apart - had to remove the ram. There was something wrong with the spring. Got it sorted but now i have to put it back together again. Anybody done this? if so haw did you get the ram and cylinder onto the tightening bolts? Also did you replace the gaskets?