Random hissing is mouse pee!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
Along with other folks, I notice a hiss every now and again from a random split. Well, I broke into a new stack of wood in the woodshed and found a tightly wound ball of long grass that I did not stack. Looks like a little mouse family has moved in. Now I know why my two-year ash splits sometimes hiss.

schortie said:
Along with other folks, I notice a hiss every now and again from a random split. Well, I broke into a new stack of wood in the woodshed and found a tightly wound ball of long grass that I did not stack. Looks like a little mouse family has moved in. Now I know why my two-year ash splits sometimes hiss.

Little buggers must be having a kegger eh! :)

Gary

I got 2 of them today.

I was stacking some Oak that fell over a few months ago. I kept putting it off, but finally did it today.

Got to a point where I could tell some dirt had been moved around etc, definitely a mouse nest (maybe they were voles, Idk). I saw one or two of them but as I grabbed wood they kept moving further away, I knew I had to cut them off. So I started about 10' away and start stacking wood up the other way. Eventually they had nowhere to hide and a swift smack with a piece of wood ended their days of messing with my wood.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Soak some cotton balls in pure peppermint oil and put them in your woodshed- the smell should keep the mice out!

Or get a cat. =P

~Rose

Had a stray cat come around and figured it was a perfect situation. The cat was a great mouser and there
were a few mice in the wood pile. Until I seen the cat pissing on my wood! My apple wood at that. I was not
too upset when the cat stopped coming around.I think an owl got him.

I'm not too concerned about having mice in the woodshed. I don't really think they're adding to the MC with their pee, and I suppose we all want to use the wood to keep us warm. Plus, I'd rather have them living out in the shed than setting up shop in my house.

okotoks guy said:
Had a stray cat come around and figured it was a perfect situation. Until I seen the cat pissing on my wood!

That's funny!

Yeah, I've had cat's pee on my wood, and I'd sure rather it was mice. :shut:

Last week my wife got a few carts of wood in for me. She didn't notice that one split had a mouse nest in it. When I told her about it, she broke down and started to cry. She thought I burned the little guys. Geez, I'm the type that takes an ant-infested split outside rather than chuck it in the stove. Live and let live. Cats, mice... even ants if I can help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.