Rapid fire log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinetic Splitters seem cool up front but don't seem to be able to hold up to the tougher splits an also can't split vertical.

Reactions: ScotO
What I'm wondering about them is once you start the splitting cycle, can you stop it mid-way or can you not stop it mid-way. In other words, you have the round there, you start the splitting cycle but you want to stop to get your arm out of the way or reposition the round or get your hand out of the way etc. Assuming you had fast enough reflexes essential to stop the split, will these machines allow that act or not? Thanks.

Reactions: NYLife
What I'm wondering about them is once you start the splitting cycle, can you stop it mid-way or can you not stop it mid-way. In other words, you have the round there, you start the splitting cycle but you want to stop to get your arm out of the way or reposition the round or get your hand out of the way etc. Assuming you had fast enough reflexes essential to stop the split, will these machines allow that act or not? Thanks.

No sir. Another caveat of the kinetics.

Reactions: ScotO and NYLife
It says it can do up to a 24" log and it's offers a 1 year try out so maybe I'll try it out and return after 6 months. It comes with a Subaru engine as well

They sell one pretty much like it at tsc. If I had all rounds in that 12inch and under it would be cool.

Reactions: ScotO
12" rounds, all straight and no knots.......that splitter would be the cat's a$$........
Almost everything I cut I have to wrestle over to the splitter and bust it up, that's one reason I like the vertical set-up. Plus I can stack a pile of rounds beside me, sit down, put the headphones on, and split away for a while before having to get up!

12" rounds, all straight and no knots.......that splitter would be the cat's a$$........
Almost everything I cut I have to wrestle over to the splitter and bust it up, that's one reason I like the vertical set-up. Plus I can stack a pile of rounds beside me, sit down, put the headphones on, and split away for a while before having to get up!

Cant remember the time I didnt have at-least 8ft of 45+ inch rounds. Roll and spin just like a hook shot in bowling! Better be a strick ever time to. ;)

I appreciate all your comments. I have up to one year to return it if I'm not happy with it

I found a used Super Split last fall on CL, and picked it up. I was worried about it handling knotty wood or twisted stuff, but it really put my doubts aside. Its an older version that doesnt sit quite as high, and only has a 3 HP briggs on it for power. But it got through every log I tried on it, even though you had to hit some twice. Really, if you can get two flat faces on it so the ram hits it square, you can split it, it may just take effort.

You are right that its a real pain to lift the splits up onto the beam, thats the really bad part about it. Otherwise they really can make some splits. You can stop the stroke with mine if you push down on the lever mid-stroke, but its pretty fast. You just need to not have your hand between the wedge and the ram (so one person does all of the holding/engaging of the ram, not two) and its OK.

Not taking away from any of the points above about hydro splitters, but I was pretty impressed with what it could do.

Reactions: NYLife
I'm glad to hear that Clarkbug where upstate are you from

Im over on the border outside of Bennington VT. Near Cambridge/Hoosick.

I had read some about the Speeco splitter over on the Arboristsite forum, and it looks like TSC may no longer carry that brand. They should be sold elsewhere, but the posts there lead me to believe that they had some QC issues. The Rapidfire seems to have good response to it, and the SuperSplit has a loyal following. I just happened to find a used one, so thats what I went with.

If I worked alone all the time, the hydro would probably be my choice, since you can go vertical with it, its able to power through everything, and depending on what you get the cycle time can be a non-issue. Most of my family heats with wood, so we are sharing the splitter. When you get a few sets of hands, you can go through a tri-axle load of wood to be split in a weekend no problem. Its a lot of $$$ to put in up front, but if the wood you get isnt huge, it will make short work of it.

Im over on the border outside of Bennington VT. Near Cambridge/Hoosick.

I had read some about the Speeco splitter over on the Arboristsite forum, and it looks like TSC may no longer carry that brand. They should be sold elsewhere, but the posts there lead me to believe that they had some QC issues. The Rapidfire seems to have good response to it, and the SuperSplit has a loyal following. I just happened to find a used one, so thats what I went with.
I have my buddy to help me as well as my brother. It was expensive but they had a sale so I saved a good $1k on it which made me want to get it even more. I'm not looking to cut huge pieces only 22" logs. How's the weather up there at night now? I'm in northern westchester by bear mountain
If I worked alone all the time, the hydro would probably be my choice, since you can go vertical with it, its able to power through everything, and depending on what you get the cycle time can be a non-issue. Most of my family heats with wood, so we are sharing the splitter. When you get a few sets of hands, you can go through a tri-axle load of wood to be split in a weekend no problem. Its a lot of $$$ to put in up front, but if the wood you get isnt huge, it will make short work of it.

I guess when we say size of wood, its the initial diameter, not the length of the piece you are splitting up. Its a real pain to lift pieces that are 30" in diameter up onto the beam of any of the kinetic splitters. With a vertical hydro, you can sort of scoot them around under it without having to pick it up, which is good for saving the back.

Sounds like you already have it, which is the first step! There is another thread about the RapidFire here on Hearth, might be worth reading.

I guess when we say size of wood, its the initial diameter, not the length of the piece you are splitting up. Its a real pain to lift pieces that are 30" in diameter up onto the beam of any of the kinetic splitters. With a vertical hydro, you can sort of scoot them around under it without having to pick it up, which is good for saving the back.

Sounds like you already have it, which is the first step! There is another thread about the RapidFire here on Hearth, might be worth reading.
Thanks CB I appreciate it. I will read it

Status
Not open for further replies.