Raspberry Patch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I need some advice on my raspberry patch. It has become crowded with weeds and invasives. Guy at the nursury says to cut the whole patch down to 2'. Then get in there with a how. Does that sound right?

A narrow row is easier to hand weed especially if mulched with leaves. Lawn clippings should work too but I've never tried it. I used them for the first time on tomatoes this year and they worked well. Lots and lots of them, but tomatoes like getting buried.

Pruning short supposedly promotes side-shooting which with some raspberries you don't want. I think you also end up with too many small berries. I'd rather have fewer bigger berries, like with some fruit trees. I only have red berries though so other kinds may rspond to different care.

Last edited:
So now I have a 20' x 20' round plot, should I cut rows to make narrow rows?

I had a rectangle plot and I pulled everything out down the middle and made a row somewhere else with the pulls.
If I could do it over I would have the path down the middle wide enough for the riding mower.
Much easier to pick berries and get weeds before they are huge with rows and there is more light and more air.

I had a rectangle plot and I pulled everything out down the middle and made a row somewhere else with the pulls.
If I could do it over I would have the path down the middle wide enough for the riding mower.
Much easier to pick berries and get weeds before they are huge with rows and there is more light and more air.
How big was your rectangle?

Status
Not open for further replies.