Rattle from fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwertyjjj

Nov 24, 2014
Canada
This is an insert. I'm getting an occasional rattle from the fan. We thought securing the back plate would help but there is still a rattle sometimes from the lever for the air inlet, sometimes from inside. Tapping on the side fan vent inlet helps or closing the door and reopening. It doesn't seem to matter what speed although if I really put it on full, it's very noisy like something is hitting something inside.

I can't see the blower anywhere. How can I get access and what should i do? Replace it?
Fireplace is an Enviro. No idea of model.

https://goo.gl/photos/rh8QUVEpyYvjYfyt6

20170108_191718.jpg

Last edited:
I have a lopi freedom insert where the fan is starting to rattle too intermittently. Taking it off and blowing all the dust out has helped in the past but it is cleaned now and still rattling. Mine is a sealed bearing type fan so oiling doesn't help. If it gets bad enough my only option is replacing it for $300. You may try cleaning it out really well and maybe yours can be lubricated. You need to check with the dealer if you can't figure it out yourself. I am only familiar with my stove. Good luck.

You may have to pull the insert to troubleshoot the problem. Then it might be something as simple as tightening a loose bolt holding it on the insert.

You have to lift the liner to pull the insert. Not a trivial task. I do it by loosening the band in the top plate, pulling it up and re-tightening. Then do the work and reinstalling the liner in the flue collar. A two person job that unfortunately I have had to do twice by myself.

Seems difficult to get to the collar/band.
I'd have to insert a very long screwdriver.
It doesn't look like a collar... more like 2 screws attach it somehow