Raw Red Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your eyes,nose,ears & hands are a better moisture meter than you could buy.

Does it look wet? Is it darker on end grain or other exposed surfaces? Is there lots of cracks on end grain?

How does it smell?

Does it feel 'cold & wet' in your hands?

Sound - does 2 pieces hit together make a dull thud or a sharp sound like the crack of a baseball hitting a bat?

Well stated Thistle!

Only one point is the cracks on the end grain. For sure they should be there but too many see that and immediately think the whole log is dry. Not so!

Reactions: Gark
My red oak has been split for a year and a half and it will never see the stove this year.

Well stated Thistle!

Only one point is the cracks on the end grain. For sure they should be there but too many see that and immediately think the whole log is dry. Not so!

I find as my wood seasons the cracks tend to go away due to the internal moisture content evening out. I find I have more cracks in rounds that have sat for a few months than I do in 3 year seasoned splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.