Re: Andirons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Was thinking about getting someone to build some andirons for my stove . . . something to keep splits and rounds from rolling up against the "glass" which tends to gunk up the glass . . . figured doing so might allow me to do a big load of wood into the stove.

Question for the metal smiths out there . . . would regular steel work or would I have to go with something special to avoid warping, twisting, etc.

Jake, maybe you cold get some from Woodstock.

The ones in the FV are cast iron. Not sure if stove cast iron is any different than any other kind. The problem is going to be how to fit them to the stove. Mine have bolts through them that attach to the frame.

I think any cold rolled steel of decent thickness would be fine. After all im burning in a "steel" stove!

Any steel should be fine. Heck, you could see if the help by bending an old lawnmower blade or 2 into a 90 and setting them under some splits.

Matt

Jake send me the measurements I have been thinking the very same thing ! There is a tool and die/cnc shop near me I am going to friday to talk to friday about it. Mine are too short for what I want and the gentleman on the phone said they could easily make some. I am going to take mine in to get an estimate maybe I can ask about yours too.

Pete

Was thinking about getting someone to build some andirons for my stove . . . something to keep splits and rounds from rolling up against the "glass" which tends to gunk up the glass . . . figured doing so might allow me to do a big load of wood into the stove.

Question for the metal smiths out there . . . would regular steel work or would I have to go with something special to avoid warping, twisting, etc.

FFJ, I'm glad you asked this question. I think about the same thing when I look at the stove and the loads when they go in but I never remember to ask about it here. Please let me know what you come up with, I'd be interested to do the same or something simular. This would be a great improvement if the 500's came with andirons in a future modified model

Sounds like steel or cast iron would work . . . I may have to take a spin up to the local vocational school and see if they could fab something up for me to test. I was thinking of making this in an "L" shape as Eaten suggested so that the weight of the splits would keep everything upright . . . although I suppose I could also try using a U-bolt and clamp things down through the grate if need be.

Steel or iron will work just fine. Consider how many stoves are made of the same materials and are ok. I made some for my fireplace out of stainless steel, though I did it because, by chance, I happened to have some perfect pieces around.

Jake, I made some for my Buck Stove many years ago after the original cast ones finally fell apart. I used 1/2 round steel stock, nothing special, just what the hardware store had. They are holding up better than the cast ones that came with the stove.
Re: Andirons

Status
Not open for further replies.