Re-assembling a (Stihl) Chainsaw: Anyone do it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
A while back, i "scored" a disassembled Stihl ms210c chainsaw at my towns re-use shed. has a new inner body. note attached says the PO was going to rebuild, but gave up. Supposedly all pieces are there. wondering if anyone here has ever done this job, or can point me in the direction of service sheets or great videos. thx!

AFFDDB31-EB24-4F93-B2DC-8EE06D474786.jpeg 5625F8FB-7A5F-4BD7-BE03-61C87A968031.jpeg 61ADEE6C-1953-4DB6-8B00-9935EAC14B42.jpeg

Be sure to check at arboristsite.

It looks like like the engine assembly bolts on to the gas/oil tank assembly. If that's the case, it is very doable. Did they say what was wrong with it?

It looks like like the engine assembly bolts on to the gas/oil tank assembly. If that's the case, it is very doable. Did they say what was wrong with it?
no, nothing on the note.

I would put the recoil back on and put the spark plug in. Then grab it by the pull rope and pick it up. See what it does

Pull the muffler and look at the piston for starters
Then a pressure and vacuum test would be the next steps,but you probably aren't set up for that.

I'm a little concerned about what the prior owner did. If he did major surgery, and then didn't have the skills to finish reassembling past the point shown in your photos, I have serious doubts about his surgery skills.

don't see air filter but that's cheap.

I'm a little concerned about what the prior owner did. If he did major surgery, and then didn't have the skills to finish reassembling past the point shown in your photos, I have serious doubts about his surgery skills.
That's why I was saying put the recoil on it and pick up the saw by the rope. That will give you and idea on the condition of the engine

well, i think what you see is they purchased a new inner body, then started disassembly, and for whatever reason gave up.

You should definitely pull the muffler and see if the piston is scored. If you want to; Compression testers are cheap on Amazon before you waste time and money on anything else.

Service and owners manuals sent in PM. Hopefully the "rebuild" was fixing a broken clamshell half hence the new part. The 210 is the baby of the 250 family. The engines are different and possibly the carbs but the chassis is the same.

This one has the "easy" chain adjuster. I had that on mine but prefer the regular type. It's an easy interchange with just a few parts.

Service and owners manuals sent in PM. Hopefully the "rebuild" was fixing a broken clamshell half hence the new part. The 210 is the baby of the 250 family. The engines are different and possibly the carbs but the chassis is the same.

This one has the "easy" chain adjuster. I had that on mine but prefer the regular type. It's an easy interchange with just a few parts.
my feeling is perhaps the saw was dropped from a height, and some plastic broke. i did turn the flywheel, felt like the piston moved fine.

Reactions: duramaxman05
If you get an IPL that is the best for putting something back together that you didn't take apart.
There is a section on Arboristsite for manuals,plus a beg for manuals thread.A fellow named Ray has lots of manuals that he shares quickly.

joined the arbor site. tried looking at the manual downloads for the ms 210. just got a lot of computer language. also looking at manuals lib site.

Go to the sticky section of chainsaws ,there will be a beg for manuals thread. The member Ray Benson has most manuals.

Go to the sticky section of chainsaws ,there will be a beg for manuals thread. The member Ray Benson has most manuals.
i have a manual for my 170. do you mean users manual, or dis- and re-assembling instruction manual?

There is a technical manual from Stihl for each saw model or series. That’s what you want for this job.

i have a manual for my 170. do you mean users manual, or dis- and re-assembling instruction manual?
No i mean an illustrated parts list "IPL"
It will have an exploded view of all parts and their part numbers and description and how they go together.
If you can get the service manual that helps too.
But the IPL is where the most help is as you can see how the parts fit together and tells you the lenght of fasteners so you don't use to long or to short.Both can be trouble.I got a saw that had too long of a bolt put through the AV mount and into the gas tank.Too short and the threads will not have the holding ability and pull the threads out of the aluminum.That brings a new challenge.

Reactions: Ashful
If you get an IPL that is the best for putting something back together that you didn't take apart.
There is a section on Arboristsite for manuals,plus a beg for manuals thread.A fellow named Ray has lots of manuals that he shares quickly.
contacted ray, and he forwarded some info. will look at it when i have time. thx for the tips.