Re-cutting 20 cords of CSS'd

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, as I debate the possibility of swapping out my big Jotuls for another brand, with the BK Ashford at the top of the list, I have to consider how I might cut down a substantial amount of wood. Specifically, I have roughly 20 cords of wood CSS'd, beautifully straight splits of oak and ash, all cut to 20" length. The Ashford spec's 18" max / 16" preferred.

I see a two issues:

1. How do you cut down 20 cords of CSS'd wood, without hating yourself before the process is half done?
2. What to do with trailer loads of 4" butts? I figure the butts alone will be 4 cords!

I cut maybe 1.5 cords down to fit in my Osburn. I made a jig like the one below and did maybe 25 splits at a time with my 660/32". It was super annoying and I hated it. I hated the chunks leftover because they were hard to handle, packed poorly in the stove and burned up quick.

If I were you, I would not do that. It would be awful. If anything, start cutting new firewood to 16" and upgrade in three years.

img_20131018_180802-jpg.115020

If anything, start cutting new firewood to 16" and upgrade in three years.
This thought has crossed my mind. Then again, I have the wife convinced today is the right time to buy two new stoves. Sometimes it's best to strike while she's primed. You know, "a woman's prerogative..."

Cut'em in half and play Tetris in Blaze Kings that are world renowned for being choked down and burned low and slow. Let the thermostat worry about it.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Start cutting all new wood to new size, burn all 20" wood till gone, then switch stoves and wood size at same time....
It's all about the timing.......

I'm trying to figure out why your ready to replace with more stoves, from what I've read of your heating needs I would think a boiler, wither OWB or gasifier might be worth the invesment and be less work for you.

Reactions: jeffesonm
Or consider the BK King or Princess. 23 and 20 in. log length respectively.

They won't fit the looks profile for his house. Just ask her. ;lol

BTW: I agree that they wouldn't.

Reactions: Ashful
Cut 'em in half instead of trimming them? Sell them and get the right-sized stuff?

So, as I debate the possibility of swapping out my big Jotuls for another brand, with the BK Ashford at the top of the list, I have to consider how I might cut down a substantial amount of wood. Specifically, I have roughly 20 cords of wood CSS'd, beautifully straight splits of oak and ash, all cut to 20" length. The Ashford spec's 18" max / 16" preferred.

I see a two issues:

1. How do you cut down 20 cords of CSS'd wood, without hating yourself before the process is half done?
2. What to do with trailer loads of 4" butts? I figure the butts alone will be 4 cords!
I would just wait to install the new stove until you've burned it all and keep cutting new wood to 16.
if you absolutely had to cut all this down, there is no way I would cut it all, then restack. I would just cut it on a table saw or circular saw at the time I was ready to burn it.

I built a box similar to the one above. I didn't have 20 cords to cut down, but more like 3-4. Still a PITA, but not as bad as it seems.

I did it as needed. If you stand there and do it all day, you'll go nuts. I have a 1/3 cord rack in the garage, and I cut when I filled it up.

The chunks will stack up in the stove and burn all day. Moving and storing is the challenge.

Probably the worst thing about it is the mess. The chips are gonna hang on the splits and end up all over the floor, no matter what you do.

If she's agreed to two new Ashfords, I wouldn't hesitate. Deal with the wood later.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out why your ready to replace with more stoves, from what I've read of your heating needs I would think a boiler, wither OWB or gasifier might be worth the invesment and be less work for you.
You've seen my house, so you know practicality is not my strong suit. Yesterday, I spent two thirds of the afternoon clearing snow and ice off 24" rounds, fighting to get them in-stuck from the frozen ground, and the other third of the day wresting those 300 lb slippery ice-covered rounds onto my splitter. That's after previously investing two days in harvesting and hauling that load home. If I'm going to work that hard, I want to see fire in my fireplace! There's no way I would do that sort of work to hide it in a basement boiler.

While going back to open fireplaces is always the option that will give me the most pleasure, woodstoves are my compromise between negative efficiency and negative pleasure.

Maybe a hybrid setup. Revert to open fireplaces and enjoy the ambiance when you choose and run a wood boiler to stick it to the oil man?

Can you not cut them in half? I'd rather play with 10" pieces than 16" and 4". That's what I'd do, make a jig like above and cut them down the middle. Going to be a PITA either way I imagine but I'd prefer to juggle 10" pieces.

I know my Princess can fit 20" splits e/w, have an Ashford owner measure e/w. While I only load n/s if it saves cutting 20 cords down I'm game with the e/w loading for a few seasons. :)

I had similar issues when I when from my Lopi to my BK. The Lopi I cut most of it 18, the BK works better at 16-17 but 18 fits the second layer ok. Lucky for me a lot of wood comes from a local tree service which cuts lots of shorties. After getting one layer down I can fit the 18 n/s without issue.

EDIT: checked the BK site you may be able to make 20 e/w work. Have an owner measure and see if it's a hard 20 or a 20 with a little wiggle room.
BK SPEC.png

Last edited:
You can't. Period. :)

Andrew
I agree with this, I just can't see it not being somewhat painful. OTOH if you build a nice "uglies bin" and toss in the 4" chunks (no stacking they would burn down nicely in low and slow mode during the shoulders and 4x4 does make 16.

Nothing says you gotta do all 20 in one shot either.

You've seen my house, so you know practicality is not my strong suit. Yesterday, I spent two thirds of the afternoon clearing snow and ice off 24" rounds, fighting to get them in-stuck from the frozen ground, and the other third of the day wresting those 300 lb slippery ice-covered rounds onto my splitter. That's after previously investing two days in harvesting and hauling that load home. If I'm going to work that hard, I want to see fire in my fireplace! There's no way I would do that sort of work to hide it in a basement boiler.

Ya but, if you saved the splitting & stacking for when the snow is gone, you'd have saved a days work. And if you had a gassifier, you'd likely have to not put as much wood up.

I looove ours - but we do still have a fireplace if we feel the need to watch flames dancing once in a while. If it's only me feeling the need, I'll just sit in front of the boiler & watch through the conveniently located window on my gassification chamber. But we don't seem to need to do that much...

I built a box similar to the one above. I didn't have 20 cords to cut down, but more like 3-4. Still a PITA, but not as bad as it seems.

I did it as needed. If you stand there and do it all day, you'll go nuts. I have a 1/3 cord rack in the garage, and I cut when I filled it up.

The chunks will stack up in the stove and burn all day. Moving and storing is the challenge.

Probably the worst thing about it is the mess.
I did the same thing with 3 cords I had cut and split to 18" and then changed my mind on the new stove which likes 14". It took about 10 hours total to unstack, cut and restack. Yes I did hate every minute of it.

I live close by. Will work for chunks.

I am an ashford owner. I also have splits that I thought were too long and cut for my old stove. You can fit 20" in. Its close to the glass but yep. It will fit. Especially the splits that go on top, you get another 1.5" when you get above the firebrick.

That said, if you can live with it, find someone to trade with. If you have to cut it, a large electric miter chop saw is the safest and best way in my opinion.

If there is any doubt, take a split to the dealer or bring some here. I'll show you how to burn 20" splits. I'm not far.

I dunno about 4 cords worth, but I smoke a lot of meat up here and several USPS flat rate boxes of oak splits 2" long will be welcome. Not for salmon of course, but on moose and caribou oak is a good choice. Probably work good on musk ox or bison too. Excellent on beef and pork, but you can find local buyers for that purpose.

Not real interested in the ash myself.

Can you trade some on Craigslist, cord for cord and have time to season green 16" splits you get in trade?

My stove is too hot and too full right now to confirm what shoot-straight says above, but it sounds about right. I left a tape measure out on my hearth to remind me to measure before the next reload. 15" splits EW have quite a bit of room down between the firebricks, and plenty of room NS between the brick across the back and the door glass.

EDIT: I would rather all my splits come in an inch "too short" than have one in fifty be a millionth of an inch too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.