Re-doing fireplace for Regency CI1250 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supturb89

Jan 1, 2013
Moved into a new home last October. Home was built in ~1900. The house has what I've been told by a few different people is an old coal fireplace. It's dimensions are very small 25.5"Wx23.5"Hx13.5"D. I was until recently all set to install a Lopi 1750 insert and be done with it but alas it was not meant to be. When I say not meant to be I mean it didn't pass the wife test. To her the insert didn't go with the room and wasn't "contemporary" enough. So after scouring the net I came back to the Regency site and looked at the CI1250. According to the manual the minimum fireplace dimensions for this insert are 25"Wx23"Hx15 1/16"D. So here is my question. We planned on re-doing our fireplace and adding stone veneer. In doing so can it be worked so that the veneer allows us to meet the depth requirement for the insert? We currently have a depth of 13.5". Could we use a combination of Durok and the stone veneer to get to the 15 1/16" we need? I am attaching a pic of our fireplace and a pic of what my wife would like to accomplish. And yes the hearth will be made to meet requirements as well. Thanks for the help.

Aaron

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is going to be squeaky close. Will this be dealer installed? They should verify this is going to be possible. Everything needs to be looked at including whether the flue liner will line up properly.

No problem with extending the facade to get the depth as long as it is all done with non-combustible materials.

I'll tell you what I found out having a i2400 installed just last week. The depth has alot to do with the chimney lining up with connection on top of the stove. It needs to slide in far enough to meet up. Just building out the facade in front won't accomplish that. You may need to look at a different stove.

Thanks for the quick replies. I've had the dealer come to the house and verify that it will fit. Extending the facade will not have a negative effect on lining up the flue connection. I plan to do the install myself.

Digital,

Does the i2400 have the flue adapter like the CI1250 where you attach it to the liner and slide the unit into it?

A flue adapter was used. I had mine professionally installed so I don't know exactly what was used though. I know my fireplace was tough and required some "ahem" modification with a sledgehammer. The heat output is fantastic though I will say.

I just had my CI1250 installed last week and I'm going to post pictures in another post shortly. What I might suggest is rather than trying to extend the whole face of the fireplace, what about having the CI1250 installed with a few inches into the room? You can have a custom made black metal return face that drops over the gap and gives you a few inches of return face back to the stone on the left right and top side. Basically one long strip of sheet metal a few inches wide with two 90 degree bends. You might get a little more heat output with the unit a few inches extended into the room rather than flush with the face. I think a black metal return matching the insert would look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.