1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

RE: Floor leveling cement and copper pipes

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by firefighterjake, Nov 19, 2010.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I poured some floor leveling cement the other day . . . and now realize that I may have made a mistake. Will the cement "eat" away the copper pipe coming up to the radiators?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Jake, if its the leveler you used is portland cement based you may have a problem. I've read that portland cement concrete is alkaline and corrosive to copper. I was adding an outside water faucet to my house and it needed to penetrate a stone wall so I had to put it in a plastic sleeve.

But, thinking out loud here, for corrosion to occur on metal you need an electrolyte (usually water) present. If the interface between the pipe and floor will always be dry you might have nothing to worry about. If it was a cold water pipe I'd be worried but since its hot water for the radiators....