RE: Got kids? . . . I need their opinion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I'm planning an open house and thanks to a small grant/donation I'm able to purchase a video game system as a door prize . . . my dilemna . . . I want to pick up something that kids 5-15 years old would really like to win to draw them to our fire department open house.

My choice: Nintendo Wii or a Nintendo DS Lite?

If you've got kids could you ask them which system they would prefer to win if they had the chance?

Yep- hands down, the Wii fer ser..................

My teenager won't bother with the Wii, apparently no good for "big boy" games.
However the rest of the family loves it, great fun , I vote Wii.

2 votes here for taking the fire truck out for a spin.

WII all the way.
I'll come if ya have free beer and female strippers dancing round the poles ;)

billb3 said:

Hmmm . . . funny you mention this . . . one of our other door prizes that we're giving away is a free ride to school in a fire engine for a child (ages 5-10) . . . we did this last year and it was one of the most popular prizes we ever gave away . . . the parents loved it, the kid loved it and all their classmates thought it was the coolest thing to be dropped off at school by a fire truck . . . and a bonus was the kid got on TV news that night as well.

Hogwildz said:
WII all the way.
I'll come if ya have free beer and female strippers dancing round the poles ;)

Well . . . I don't know about the free beer, but there is at least one micro brewery in town . . . and a strip club . . . I don't think the Chief would authorize any purchase orders however to give away free beer and hire strippers. ;) :)

Sounds like the Wii might be the way to go . . . thanks for the replies.

Yep - Wii for the smaller folks.

wii for sure. get wii sports resort and you'll have a line out the door. get wii fit and you'll drop some of those mid winter pounds and may be eligble for some healthplan fitness bucks. I strongly recommend the enegizer battery charger kit as wii eats batteries like a fat kid at the holiday dessert table.

Will for more of a clean fun family oriented system! PS3 and 360 for those Gory, full of blood games!

my little girl likes both but we usually play the wii as a family

I went with the Wii route . . .

In fact, if any Maine hearth.com members are kicking around this weekend.

Bangor Fire Department
289 Main Street

Open House
10-2

Balloons
Truck Tours
Candy

11 a.m. Costume Contest (for kids)

Smoke House

And we're giving away a free Nintendo Wii, two bikes and a ride to school on a fire engine (for this last prize you need to be a child in Bangor age 5-10 . . . the other prizes are open to anyone.)

firefighterjake said:
billb3 said:

Hmmm . . . funny you mention this . . . one of our other door prizes that we're giving away is a free ride to school in a fire engine for a child (ages 5-10) . . . we did this last year and it was one of the most popular prizes we ever gave away . . . the parents loved it, the kid loved it and all their classmates thought it was the coolest thing to be dropped off at school by a fire truck . . . and a bonus was the kid got on TV news that night as well.

Do they get to hit the Q? :coolgrin:

firefighterjake said:
I went with the Wii route . . .

In fact, if any Maine hearth.com members are kicking around this weekend.

Bangor Fire Department
289 Main Street

Open House
10-2

Balloons
Truck Tours
Candy

11 a.m. Costume Contest (for kids)

Smoke House

And we're giving away a free Nintendo Wii, two bikes and a ride to school on a fire engine (for this last prize you need to be a child in Bangor age 5-10 . . . the other prizes are open to anyone.)

My 13 year old wants to come to your open house. ( His vote was for a wii too.) Unfortunately, he has a soccer game on Saturday and loves his soccer more than video games....

We also live in Colorado... %-P

Sounds like a fun event. Would love to see pictures posted here.

ohio woodburner said:
firefighterjake said:
billb3 said:

Do they get to hit the Q? :coolgrin:

Depends on the crew . . . last year the prize was won by a little girl who was wicked reserved, so no siren . . . I later ran into her mother several months later though and the mom said her daughter still talks about the day she rode to school in a fire engine.

Wii, definitely. between us and the neighbors, there's 6-8 kids (plus grownups!) who love to Wii in a variety of wii-ways. :) they're ages 3 to 8.

We even bring it on vacations, if there's expected to be some downtime due to scheduling, rainy weather, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.