1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

RE: Oaks in Maine ID

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by firefighterjake, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    This is a bit embarassing, but since the family land never had any oaks on it I never took the time to really learn much about the various oak trees. I took these leaves from a couple of oak trees growing around my house and attempted to ID them . . . one I believe is red oak . . . the other I couldn't really match up to any of the on-line tree ID sites for Maine trees.

Attached Files:

• oak2.jpg
      oak2.jpg
      File size:
      75.1 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    The one one the right looks just like red oak here in Michigan. The picture on the left vaguely resembles something like a burr oak except for the points on the leaves. there are 400= types of oaks. Here are a couple of websites that show some types of oak. (http://about-oak-trees.com/) (http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/compare-oaks.htm) These sites were located by doing a browser search for "oak tree species" maybe your browser will connect you to your type of oaks if these don't find them for you. Looks like fun...
  3. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I think the one on the left it looks like northern red oak. on the right it looks like northern pin oak
  4. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    The left looks like red, but the right is pin oak.
  5. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
  6. joshlaugh

joshlaugh New Member

Loc:
    Granville, Ohio
    We have similar oak trees in Ohio and I would say northern red oak and pin oak.
  7. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    Thanks for the links! The Vanderbilt one is outstanding! Very complete. Bookmarked it.
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Thanks for the replies . . . based on the replies here and from my brother and a Unity College graduate I know . . . it seems the general consensus is that the leaf on the left is red oak and the one on the right is pin oak. Thanks again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.