Reached the end of last year's leftovers.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have folding attic stairs as well. I fashioned a box out of some rigid foam insulation that fits over the attic opening which really helps cut down on heat loss.

I'll post a picture this evening when I get home.

Good idea.I think I'll build one like that.

Good idea.I think I'll build one like that.
There are how to and DIY videos online FWIW. I have no idea why I never thought of this !

I think the DFs have actually started burning.

There are only 2 settings. The stove level and the thermostat temperature. I dont see how the DF could screw those up.

There are only 2 settings. The stove level and the thermostat temperature. I dont see how the DF could screw those up.
Well see I don't know your stove. I read all these posts around here about stoves with manual dampers and wonder. Does yours have a manual damper ?

If you are referring to the damper on the OAK line, then yes I do.

If you are referring to the damper on the OAK line, then yes I do.
That's the one I'm thinking of yes. Does that need slight adjusting for different pellets to burn optimally?

Ive never adjusted it since it was installed.

Ive never adjusted it since it was installed.
Oh, well the St Croix tutorials do say that for most installs the factory setting usually works.

Seemed warmer in the house than usual last night.

Seemed warmer in the house than usual last night.
Yes, that's what we get from them as well. But hey, maybe it was warmer out ! Our DF last year were rated at 9200 BTU and .2 % ash.

These pure white pines I'm burning now are no slouch either. But I got to get away from them, my wrists started breaking out last night right at my shirt cuff line.. I was afraid of that with the itching starting ( I'm allergic to spring time pine pollen and break out worse than this from it). It's contact dermatitis. I have cream for it but it's a steroid mix, I'm not living with that stuff on me as much as I like these pellets. i have two and a half bags left, I'll burn those up and tap my Energex Hardwoods I guess ( hot but ashy).

Last edited:
I'm liking the DF so far but I need more time to see if I like them $345 per ton worth.

I'm liking the DF so far but I need more time to see if I like them $345 per ton worth.
Bet not. I buy just enough for the real cold. And last I knew they don't make me itch. These white pines are great other than the itch. Sooo. But those DF's are hot.

In stock at my local HD...Now in stock in my attic as well!!
Nice, though I think I will build mine. For one thing to properly span the opening I need mine to be 27" wide. I think I'd be Mickey Mousing the tent to fit unless you guys think I could successfully stretch it over a frame that wide ? Like 1x2 strapping maybe. If so then it would work great.

Last edited:
If it helps up in my attic the outside of my framing is twenty eight and a half inches wide and this thing fits perfect. And it actually does do a good job it's already a lot warmer when I open up that attic door.

If it helps up in my attic the outside of my framing is twenty eight and a half inches wide and this thing fits perfect. And it actually does do a good job it's already a lot warmer when I open up that attic door.
So it stretched to 28" ?

It did not have to stretch the measurements you're seeing on the website is the size of your door the actual measurement of this thing is a little bit bigger to fit over it.

Reactions: alternativeheat
It did not have to stretch the measurements you're seeing on the website is the size of your door the actual measurement of this thing is a little bit bigger to fit over it.
Cool ! Since my HD doesn't stock this thing I will order one through Amazon then. Wow that saves me some work.

I think I'll go tune my piano now.

I like building things myself, but this was just too easy to pass up. Here's a better picture of the box.
f041628c80b5447e488185ac7c9d8f9a.jpg

I like building things myself, but this was just too easy to pass up. Here's a better picture of the box.
f041628c80b5447e488185ac7c9d8f9a.jpg
Oh wow, 36x60, I can build a good frame for it and make it easier to handle and etc. Maybe hinge it so as to just flip it all back when going up there. Nice , thanks for posting this ! And Tim for planting the whole idea to begin with.

Last edited:
If you look at my picture of the box underside, I use velcro straps on each end to secure it in place over the door opening. The straps allow me to exert just enough downward forces to seal the weather stripping I put on the bottom of the box.

This thing is only insulation wrapped foil, it comes folded in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.