Ready for the cold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bioburner

Aug 4, 2012
West central Mn
Looks like we may get enough cold to freeze the lakes.
Had to have the local electrician out as the one that had done the work for my home 10 years ago did not finish some things and it bit me and probably toasted the Bixby's board too. Old electrician had not installed buss bars in the old meter socket but put in a couple wires and they started to corrode and started strange things in the house making the UPS systems scream frequently as well as not installing the cable into conduit at the new meter.
Got in over 3 tons of pellets into the house and some corn is cleaned but will have to buy some more and of course it went up almost a dime a bushel today. Cut half a cord of wood today for supplementing the garage heat. Last 35 degree day of the year.
Could be worse. Could be camped out on the Missouri river bank

Reactions: vinny11950 and rona
48 degrees here today ready for a little chill tired of running my stove on low,did get frame plate and granite insert on the ash bin door today ordered insert from daltonmemorials as LakeGirl mentioned looks nice.

LOL, not out protesting I assume?

What's the corn going for up there?

I've been burning on and off for a couple of weeks, not really cold enough to run full time yet, but, yes, it's coming!

And getting the lakes frozen, a little perch fishing? I used to love ice fishing, can't go out on the ice anymore with my leg(s) screwed up. I used to have 3 shacks at least. One on a river, one on a lake and one smaller one that I kept in the back of my pickup to move around when needed.

Stay warm!

did get frame plate and granite insert on the ash bin door today ordered insert from daltonmemorials
Something from Santa? You have to post when you get it installed.

Looks like we may get enough cold to freeze the lakes.
Had to have the local electrician out as the one that had done the work for my home 10 years ago did not finish some things and it bit me and probably toasted the Bixby's board too. Old electrician had not installed buss bars in the old meter socket but put in a couple wires and they started to corrode and started strange things in the house making the UPS systems scream frequently as well as not installing the cable into conduit at the new meter.
Got in over 3 tons of pellets into the house and some corn is cleaned but will have to buy some more and of course it went up almost a dime a bushel today. Cut half a cord of wood today for supplementing the garage heat. Last 35 degree day of the year.
I think a week or so of the typical North Dakota weather will thin out the protesters.

$3.14 to buy. I paid 3.19 last season. If I calculated right I only need 75 bushels.
Perch and Crappies

Reactions: FirepotPete
The cold is supposed to get to NY by Saturday... Still have a few more days of sunbathing. Gotta get that Vitamin D up.

Temps are supposed to drop here Thurs - Fri. We've been up and down here but rather holding steady lately with highs in the 40's and lows down about 10 degrees. I've been burning already for a little while. Oct. & Nov. were nice and mild. Now it's colder and raining a lot with snow coming in a couple of days possibly. not ready for that crap. Never am nor want to be.

Pellets are in and I'm squared away there though. Found Sets for $199 OTD at my local TSC. Might go snag another ton just because...

pellet stove granite.JPG
DSC00017.JPG
its a start anyways and Bioburner Santa doesnt visit me Im always on the naughty list I guess

Last edited:
Hey jzm2cc I got it from Daltonmemorials.com in Utah not sure how to pull the link up on this thread but anyways go to the website and they have quite a few inserts to choose from will even do custom engraving.Price was $120.00 dollars with shipping included which I thought was fair for a piece of etched granite.

Hey jzm2cc I got it from Daltonmemorials.com in Utah not sure how to pull the link up on this thread but anyways go to the website and they have quite a few inserts to choose from will even do custom engraving.Price was $120.00 dollars with shipping included which I thought was fair for a piece of etched granite.
Thanks, I'll definitely have to check out Dalton Memorial's website to see what they have available.

It's coming here too. Yesterday was in the 30s, the last day I could leave the stove off all day while at work and have the house drop less than 10 degrees in 11 hours. Single digits plus much colder wind chills starting in a day or so. But I've got about 3 ton left for rest of the winter, should be fine. Really the hardest part has been getting the garage ready to be parked in, been building some massive shelves all the way up both sides to store the stuff.

did get frame plate and granite insert on the ash bin door
Looking good Gavin!
Dalton Memorial's website
http://www.daltonsmemorial.com/stoveinserts.php
Somewhere on the forum a stove owner got a engraving from a photo of his dog ...

I'm as ready as I'll ever be for the cold and snow. Pellet palace is fully stocked. Took the stove down to do a big clean today so it should be good til the New Year. Snagged the silicone gaskets from the spare so fresh combustion blower and inspection port gaskets. The combustion blower gasket was due as it just cracked off. Have to order 2 sets of spares now:)

Had the Kubota out today to blow some snow but a bit chillier without the soft top cab to cut the wind...just not on yet. Hubby hooked up the blower the other day so I figured I was set. Wrong... it turned once and then nothing from the blower. Went and got the manual but took a quick look under and sure enough, the long shaft pto was hanging. Didn't get snapped tight into place. Not a big deal and glad I was rolling in the snow instead of the dirt. Driveway done by the time Hubby got home but looks like I have to replace one of the snap bolts on the blade. Tomorrow...

Last edited:
Reactions: alternativeheat
Yuck. I suppose I better fire up the snow blower just in case ( it's time anyway, I usually do it at the end of Nov). I'm more or less physically ready for cold and snow I suppose, but not emotionally. Our predictions here call for snow and rain mix,Sunday late, Mon, Tues and so on but a little shift in pattern around here could mean 4 days of snow, or nothing, or exactly as they predict.Then it depends which forecast you read too.

Last edited:
$3.14 to buy. I paid 3.19 last season. If I calculated right I only need 75 bushels.
Perch and Crappies
How in the world people get by on 1 ton of pellets or 75 bu of corn. I brought home a wagon I think 160ish of corn last year and used a ton of pellets and another 12 bags come spring, I think I had some left from the year before also. This year another 160ish wagon and 8 bags of pellets to start before the corn. 1 super sack already will be gone by end of this week?. 28x40 log cabin stove is in the basement so 2000 sq ft. O and plus some LP.

How in the world people get by on 1 ton of pellets or 75 bu of corn. I brought home a wagon I think 160ish of corn last year and used a ton of pellets and another 12 bags come spring, I think I had some left from the year before also. This year another 160ish wagon and 8 bags of pellets to start before the corn. 1 super sack already will be gone by end of this week?. 28x40 log cabin stove is in the basement so 2000 sq ft. O and plus some LP.
You didn't read my first post. I got in 3 tons pellets ,had some corn. Need about 75 bushels more. I have a newer tight home. Good insulation. Corn coming back down in price. May need a bit more if the cold refuses to abate or leave for Texas.

Two years ago, oil was high and the winter pretty brutal, I knocked on the door of 4 tons of pellets ( just over 3.5 tons actually). We heated just about exclusively with pellets that winter, two cold days in mid winter I did kick the oil heat up. last year, mild winter by comparison, oil was down, I mixed oil and pellet heat all winter, but burned oil in the shoulder season. Burned almost 1-1/3 ton. The house is old, it's a cape that is insulated but could be better with modern standards applied, and about 1800 sq ft. I think we burned about 400 gallons of oil besides the pellets but that includes the attached apartment that has to be heated by oil anyway. I had surgery last year before Christmas and wasn't into tons and tons of pellet schlepping.

Status
Not open for further replies.