Ready for Winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Hi All
What a difference from last year.
Last year at this time we had wet snow,our trench for underground lines didn't get finished in good weather,all because of unreliable foam contractors.Our yard was a mess,rain/snow and clay don't play well together.Boiler building was just a closed shell,boiler system was just an idea,tanks were pressure tested.House was just a shell.
This year we have over 10 cord split and stacked,boiler system up and running,will fire the wood one up for the winter later today.Boiler building 95% complete,even painted inside.No snow yet,was supposed to get some today,Finished up the yard sculpting yesterday,all smooth with a cap of crushed gravel over the clay.Yard all tidied up.House is closed to weather R80 insulation finished in roof,man what a job that was,working off 4 sections of scaffolding at the ridge pole.Quad pane windows installed,just waiting for the new doors to arrive,then i turn on the temp heat on upstairs,have a 4'x6' heat exchanger,may add a fan to it,this will heat until everything is finished in the house then we will install cast iron rads throughout.
Looks like a warm and cosy winter ahead,lots of finishing work on the house,but it's mostly inside work.
Need to tweak the boiler system with some more controls and temp gauges,but it will come in time.
Thanks to this site i'm way further ahead then i would be if i hadn't found you guys and gals.
Haven't felt this ready for winter in a long time.Even my shop is ready,i use waste oil to heat it and i have lots,furnace serviced and running as well.Have to switch to winter tires on the rigs,but they are all mounted and ready for the white stuff.
So Thanks for the great site.
Winter,bring it on
Thomas

Congratulations Salecker! Good luck with all that new stuff. Sounds nice. Keep us posted on how everything is going as things start to really cool down. I have a new system up and running and it will be interesting to see how things start to progress as the temps keep going lower and lower. Very warm here in Norther New York along the Canadian border. 70s the today and yesterday.

Hi
Location Haines Jct Yukon.
3" snow last night,rain this afternoon.Wish it was colder so we didn't have all the wet slop.
Snow tires on the rigs,
The long winter grind begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.