Ready to burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I finally got around to getting our own stove and chimney ready for the season. I added a 3 foot section to the height and gave everything a good cleaning. I still have to order some new baffle boards from Englander but we're pretty much ready to burn. I also rounded up some scrap wood so maybe we'll light it up tonight! Woo Hoo!

Be sure and post back on how the +3 feet works. I'm stuck with ~13 feet of total flue length and it would be nice to have a little more draft during the marginal times - early fall and late spring. Be interested to know if it makes a substantial difference or just barely noticeable.

Well I can say already that it has helped. I have a short horizontal bit in my chimney so my draft was marginal before. It's in the low 50s out now and the stove would have spilled a bit of smoke while starting up before. It doesn't now. Extra height will always improve draft.

My stove & chimney is spankin' clean as of this morning so I am good to go, but I trying very hard to hold off until Oct. 1st. for light off!

Diabel, I justify the early light off by using wood I wouldn't otherwise burn. Sticks, pallets, small chunks which are really too small to produce a meaningful fire in colder weather. It's yard clean up time.

I have got the itch!!! I even pulled the crap stuff from my wood piles this afternoon.....just in case I can not resist. I even noticed the kids are wearing socks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.