Ready to buy a stove, but need more advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiff

Nov 13, 2013
west coast
Folks, I am ready to go put money down on a stove, but need help from the professionals out there. Again, I am looking for a wood stove to heat maybe around 1500' sf of living space and hopefully keep the rest of the house comfortable in a pinch (total sf of 2200'). I have literally looked at most brands from the "big" names to the box store brands and just need some good old no nonsense advice.

I am not against spending a little more for a stove that is better performing or just better quality. But if there is a brand that just sells for less money that is equally performing that what I want to know.

I seem to want to look for a medium size stove, and keep coming back to the Lopi Endeavor model. It is presented as a workhorse with a great design, good size box and thought out design. What are some other stoves that you would recommend to check out before going this route?

Is their a stove in the $1200-1500 range that is equally functional?

Please let me know as I am trying to make deals on floor models that are end of the year close outs. If you could list 2-3 models that would be don't miss stoves, what would they be?

NC-30 of course comes to mind in that price range..maybe less.
Good luck with you choice.

The west coast stretches from Baja to Bellingham. Where are you and what is your normal winter temperature range? Also, how well insulated is the house? Cathedral ceilings or normal height?

For that size area and if you live anywhere north of the Cali border, you may want to look at something in a large stove. In that price range, Pacific Energy, Regency and Jotul come to mind. As the old saying goes, you can always make a small fire in a big box...

If you're looking at floor model deals it might be easier to note the models available and post 'em here. Kinda hard to be specific with a generic "what's good" question. What you'll invariably get is the "I like my stove so you should buy it" type answers.

For that size area and if you live anywhere north of the Cali border, you may want to look at something in a large stove. In that price range, Pacific Energy, Regency and Jotul come to mind. As the old saying goes, you can always make a small fire in a big box...

If you're looking at floor model deals it might be easier to note the models available and post 'em here. Kinda hard to be specific with a generic "what's good" question. What you'll invariably get is the "I like my stove so you should buy it" type answers.

Northern CA. foothills. Temp swing from low 30's in the winter at the coldest. Cathedral ceiling in the family room I am putting it in. The local Lopi dealer says the endeavor is so easy to start and get draft compared to other brands? It will be straight pipe going up through ceiling. I am certainly not brand specific, just looking for good suggestions. There is a new Drloet Baltic floor model as a close out at the local hardware store for $1100. He says the Baltic model is being discontinued. Don't know from Drolet or just his store is discontinuing. Is the Baltic a good stove? Easy to clean?

The Endeavor is a great stove. You'll want to have a ceiling fan or two in the room to move the heat away from the cathedral ceiling peak.

The Drolet is considered a "budget" line of stoves up here (in Canada which happens to be where they are made). Decent quality for a decent price, tho they have had a couple of odd balls in their time. I've never cleaned one, but it looks like it's a fairly typical flue attachment, so don't see why it would be any worse to clean than any other.

Have you checked the reviews section for either?

Status
Not open for further replies.