Ready to buy, now must decide: HARMAN 300TL or BLAZE KING - ULTRA KING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the input on the catalytic vs non-cat. I have narrowed it down to 2 stoves. Here are the pros and cons as I see them, let me know if there are others. I will decide this week which to get.

HARMAN

PROS:
* Gorgeous looker
* 3.2 cu ft
* Large viewing glass
* Top Load
* Grill Option (I know it may seem like a gimmick,
but we get bored in the middle of winter
and love to cook on fire)
* Large ash pan that works
* $100 off coupon on website, stove is less expensive than blaze king
* heavy, heavy construction (it weighs nearly 100 lbs more than the other stove)

CONS:
* lots of seals (top load, front load, ash pan, and stack bypass)
* not sure of the afterburn technology
* local dealer is not very knowledgeable
* no thermostat
* not as confident in the stove, it seems more delicate and prone for problems
* not sure of the quality or if the lever to open the top will work in years to come
I had heard of someone whose stove warped and it did not work.

BLAZE KING ULTRA KING

PROS:
* huge firebox
* I like the catalytic converter
* only 2 seal openings, the front door and the bypass
* users speak really highly of these, good name brand
* 2 fans
* 8" pipe
* longevity of company
* extremely long burn times
* thermostat
* confident in design of stove and quality build

CONS
* ugly as sin
* poor ash removal
* more expensive
* catalyst expensive when replacing
* smaller viewing glass
* huge footprint

Is there anything I am missing that would persuade me either way?
Thanks for your help in this decision.
In your responses, vote for either stove and let me know why.

Sounds like you have the pros and cons pretty close, and the decision depends on your personal preferences.

A couple of thoughts regarding the BK

Since the ash pan is 9" deep, and can hold a cord's worth of ashes before emptying, I wouldn't consider that "poor ash removal"--I'm not arguing, just noting.

Likewise, the cat is guaranteed 100% for two years, covered on a sliding scale from then until 6 years, and costs around $200 before warranty payments when finally replaced. Personally I don't consider that expensive, but your call.

Good luck!

EDIT: That Harman sure is pretty, and that grill looks like a lot of fun.

Sounds like the pros of the Harman outweigh that of the Blaze King for you. Both will likely heat your place so in my opinion might as well get one that you want to look at for years to come. If you like the looks better, being able to grill and the ash pan I'd go for it. Remember you have to look at that stove for three other season when you don't give a hoot about heat. Blaze King to me seems like a utilitarian heater. Not the best looking but get the job done very well. If I simply wanted to heat efficiently and easily I'd go for the King. If you have the time to feed a stove, enjoy the options available and want it to look nice in your house, I'd go with the Harman.

fortydegnorth said:
Sounds like the pros of the Harman outweigh that of the Blaze King for you. Both will likely heat your place so in my opinion might as well get one that you want to look at for years to come. If you like the looks better, being able to grill and the ash pan I'd go for it. Remember you have to look at that stove for three other season when you don't give a hoot about heat. Blaze King to me seems like a utilitarian heater. Not the best looking but get the job done very well. If I simply wanted to heat efficiently and easily I'd go for the King. If you have the time to feed a stove, enjoy the options available and want it to look nice in your house, I'd go with the Harman.
Good post..I concur.
For me though I burn 24/7 because for back up I have a old heat pump and a electric furnace and it will break the bank to run those and I can't stand the big blower on most of the time.
Thought about putting propane in but decided against it.
That Hartman is a looker and I'm sure it will do a fine job.

What are your expectations of the stove? If you're looking to supplement the good looking stove may win, if you're looking for a real world heater for Alaska the King should win hands down.

When I purchased my stove I was only looking to supplement my heating costs. Well that lasted about a week after buying the stove and now I want a heater that can meet all my heating needs. My current stove actually does a pretty good job of that but I'm greedy and want more so I'm currently looking at other stoves. It's looking like a BK Princess may be in my future or a King if I can make myself hold off till I expand my family room sometime in the future.

The thing I like most about the BK I didn't even know to consider when I bought it. It burns reliably and predictably both much lower and much higher than my old cat stove. I load it up all the way every time and let the t-stat manage the burn. It changed the way I burn and what I expect from a stove.

If you WEREN'T in Alaska I'd tell you to go with the one you like in terms of looks.

You will find the price of the afterburner on the Harman to be as much or more than the cat in the blaze king, and you will probably replace/repair it about as often (whole lot of variables involved on each system).

I believe some of the firebrick on the Harman are special bricks that they don't give away either.

Both of these stoves have been on my short list for quite some time, so I have looked at each of these stoves for quite a while. The Harman afterburn chamber is real fragile after a few years, and when I go to the local Harman dealer to drool over their stoves, they are usually rebuilding one, or have a new one setting there ready to be installed in a stove, price it. The firebrick in the back of the stove are real nice looking, but you are not going to buy them from anyone but Harman, price them.

It seems as though downdraft systems can be finicky to operate on less than ideal chimneys also.

I love the looks of the Harman stoves, and like the concept of their burning system and their top load system, but be aware of the cost of replacement parts and if your chimney is less than ideal for draft, you may want to avoid a downdraft stove.

If you haven't already noticed, I went with Blaze King and am happy with that decision.

SolarAndWood said:
The thing I like most about the BK I didn't even know to consider when I bought it. It burns reliably and predictably both much lower and much higher than my old cat stove. I load it up all the way every time and let the t-stat manage the burn. It changed the way I burn and what I expect from a stove.

This is the strongest endorsement I can imagine--a product that fulfills desires the buyer wasn't even aware of. In marketing, this is called "surprise and delight".

I have the BK
"Ugly as sin" is a bit strong . :) I like the beautiful fire fairies that dance around in the firebox. :)
I wouldn't change now that I've burned it a year.
Not ugly to me. tough, efficient, good heat output, (things you can't see, but are in the eyes of the beholder)

Both have good qualities, You'll be happy with either.
Your after the qualities that are most important to you.
Good luck.

PS: with either "burning dry well seasoned wood = happy wood burner",

I share the prior poster's concern about replacing that Afterburner shoe in the Harman. Early on I noticed at the stove shop they were cast iron. Then the ceramic showed up and I winced. I started to bring that up last night but decided to keep my nose out of it. But is should be a consideration in the purchase. That and as you have considered already, moving parts in a wood heater. And that includes the BK.

One of your "cons" for the Harman is that "local dealer is not very knowledgable" This would be a deal breaker for me!

Also, I suggest that you do some searching on this website for threads concerning the "everburn" system (or neverburn as many seem to call it!!)

Thanks George - for responding to Hotprinter's request for info on the everburn system.

It is my understanding that the everburn system on the VC stoves is almost identical to the downdraft system on the Harman stoves

Cheers!

How many sq feet are you heating?

Status
Not open for further replies.