rear surround for woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JillianL

Sep 21, 2011
NE PA
I'm installing a woodstove in my house and I'm considering building a wall surround so that I can get the stove closer to the wall. My stove is older, but I have a manual that lays out the requirements for wall shields. "24 guage sheet metal and 1/2" non-comb insulation board with a 1" space between wall and surround." My question is about the sheetmetal. I haven't seen sheetmetal included in any instructions of how to build a surround. If I use cement board and ceramic tile with a 1" space will that be adequate?

If the surround is too complicated, which it sounds like it might be, I will go with a rear heat shield and double wall stove pipe. Does the rear heat shield increase or decrease efficiency or neither?

thanks everyone!

I'm not an expert here, but I'm bringing it back to the top for you.

To me, I can't see the sheet metal being much more than a non-combustible surface for you. I don't see why it'd be necessary if that shield will have tile on it.

But, there are others who are more experienced here. Hopefully they will chime in.

pen

Sheet metal will function the same as cement board in this application. If you want to dress it up, it can be made of hemmed stainless or even tin ceiling pieces.

What stove is this and what are the clearances it requires without wall shields?

I'd be curious on the age of the stove and the date of the manual with the specs.

I don't know about the efficiency--I put in heat shield and double-wall pipe because it saved me several inches of floor space and my stove is in a bit of a bottleneck location. I imagine that the double-wall keeps the air up the chimney marginally warmer--on the other hand, it means less heat in the room. Six of one, a dozen of the other. One more thing I like about the double-wall--I've left skin behind on single-wall pipes more than once, so when I inadvertently touched it when hot, I instinctively jerked away--and then realized that while it was hot, I wasn't going to get burned on it. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.