Reason for Lazy Flame: Door Hinge Pins Popping Out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

susb8383

Oct 24, 2009
Framingham MA
I think I've finally solved the problem with my Whitfield Advantage II having a lazy flame with any setting over 1, so thought I'd post this in case it helps someone.

For years our stove has not been burning the pellets properly. Anything higher than a 3 would result in clinkers the next day even if the flame appeared to be energetic.

We thought we weren't cleaning our stove properly. And it seemed this was the case because after we emptied the tray and gave it a good cleaning, things worked better for a little while.

But then this year was the worst. Anything over the setting of 1 would result in a glowing brick of embers in the tray. Not just clinkers, but a solid brick that could be taken out in one piece.

Somewhere on this forum I read that the door has to fit securely for the combustion to work properly. It hasn't closed tight in years so I thought maybe we needed a new gasket.

But then I saw that both the top and bottom hinge pins that connect the door to the stove were popping out by about 1/2 inch. I remembers a few years ago when these pins were creeping out and I didn't notice. They came out so much that when I opened the door, the top came totally off the hinge in my hand. (Trying to maneuver a hot door back into place with one hand without getting burned or burning down the house was a major accomplishment.)

So this time I waited until the stove was cold and then I was able to pound the top pin back into place pretty easily, but the bottom pin wouldn't budge. It took 2 of us, me moving the door different ways and my husband pounding the pin with a hammer to get it back in, which popped the top pin out again. But we were finally able to get both pins in pretty well.

Now that the pins are both in place properly, the door is a lot harder to close, which is a good thing. It means it is a tighter fit.

And I'm happy to say that I have the stove on the setting of 3 right now with a very jumpy, happy flame.

I'm not sure why the door hinges get so out of alignment over time and the pins pop out, but at least now we know what to watch for.

susb8383 said:
I think I've finally solved the problem with my Whitfield Advantage II having a lazy flame with any setting over 1, so thought I'd post this in case it helps someone.

For years our stove has not been burning the pellets properly. Anything higher than a 3 would result in clinkers the next day even if the flame appeared to be energetic.

We thought we weren't cleaning our stove properly. And it seemed this was the case because after we emptied the tray and gave it a good cleaning, things worked better for a little while.

But then this year was the worst. Anything over the setting of 1 would result in a glowing brick of embers in the tray. Not just clinkers, but a solid brick that could be taken out in one piece.

Somewhere on this forum I read that the door has to fit securely for the combustion to work properly. It hasn't closed tight in years so I thought maybe we needed a new gasket.

But then I saw that both the top and bottom hinge pins that connect the door to the stove were popping out by about 1/2 inch. I remembers a few years ago when these pins were creeping out and I didn't notice. They came out so much that when I opened the door, the top came totally off the hinge in my hand. (Trying to maneuver a hot door back into place with one hand without getting burned or burning down the house was a major accomplishment.)

So this time I waited until the stove was cold and then I was able to pound the top pin back into place pretty easily, but the bottom pin wouldn't budge. It took 2 of us, me moving the door different ways and my husband pounding the pin with a hammer to get it back in, which popped the top pin out again. But we were finally able to get both pins in pretty well.

Now that the pins are both in place properly, the door is a lot harder to close, which is a good thing. It means it is a tighter fit.

And I'm happy to say that I have the stove on the setting of 3 right now with a very jumpy, happy flame.

I'm not sure why the door hinges get so out of alignment over time and the pins pop out, but at least now we know what to watch for.

Im sure all the advantage units the body hidge are adjustable in and out. and so is the door latch bolt. you get to the door latch bolt when you remove the firebrick and the baffle behind the firebrick

Well, I'm back to having problems again. Even though the hinges are in pretty well, the door is not tightly latched. It seems to me when I look at the door that it is a little tilted. It seems like the distance from the top of the door to the place ( for lack of a better word) gets bigger the further away from the door latch you go. I noticed that the right side of the burn pot seems to have a lazier flame than the left. The right side of the stove definitely had blacker soot than the left, and the right side of the door gets sooty first.

How often should a door gasket be changed? It never has and the stove is probably at least 15 years old. I did the paper test and it felt ok, but maybe this is part of the problem.

The door has to be level side to side in order for the gasket to properly seal what it has to.

This means that the hinge pins have to perfectly vertical and in a line as well as secured tightly.

Gaskets can last a very long time provided they don't get stretched, creased, cut, or have something harden on them so they don't seal.

Gaskets need to be replaced when they fail the so called dollar bill test, this test must be done in at least two places on each side of the door, a failure at any test point is cause for checking for improper alignment or gasket damage and then if damaged the gasket has to be replaced, if misaligned realign and retest.

Do the dollar bill test. insert bill into the door and close it. If you can pull the dollar the door is out of adjustment.

Please do not do this on a burning stove.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
......Please do not do this on a burning stove. Eric

I KNEW there was a reason why it cost me $2.00 every time I check the gaskets!! :lol:

imacman said:
kinsman stoves said:
......Please do not do this on a burning stove. Eric

I KNEW there was a reason why it cost me $2.00 every time I check the gaskets!! :lol:

If it only cost you $2.00 every time ya ain't checking it correctly ;-) .

Status
Not open for further replies.