rebuild booster on B&G circulator or buy newer cartrige pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
The old b& G moter runs great. Seal on booster is starting to leak a little. Old moter is a 1.75 amp motor and runs at 1750 rpm.

Is there efficiency enough difference to buy a new pump such as taco or grundfos.

Three speed or not.

I know the B&G pumps are more expensive and not sure if I should stick with what I have.

This pump is located on my secondary loop. The single pump opperates my entire small house.

Is it a B&G 100? Those were great pumps, long lasting as long as they were oiled properly. And a nice flat pump curve. I think you would need to buy the entire bearing assembly to repair it. I don't think seals and bushings are serviceable?

Look at the cost of the replacement part compared to a newer style wet rotor circ.

Also look at how much flow the two pumps move compared to the power they consume. Typical wet rotors in the same GPM range run around 70- 80W

Another option are the ECM pumps that consume 40% less than the current wet rotor circs, but they are a bit more $$ and may not pencil out for you.

hr

I have a brand new B&G PL55 pump with 26hours on it .It has a squeek when I shut it down. I am waiting to here from the whoesaler that sold it to me. I'm just waiting for them to blame it the install or the preclean I circulated for 24hour. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.