Rebuildability...............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
Hey guys. As most of you know I have a 42cc Craftsman saw but what I've recently found out is the big job to rebuild/ rering it. The design is not your standard jug bolted down to the crackcase- surely a good number or you all out there already know this. So, question is, or 2 questions now- #1, is there an easy way to rebuild a Craftsman, read worth it, and #2- what say out there is most accomodating for a rebuild/ rering? Stihl, Husky...............................

WoodMann said:
Hey guys. As most of you know I have a 42cc Craftsman saw but what I've recently found out is the big job to rebuild/ rering it. The design is not your standard jug bolted down to the crackcase- surely a good number or you all out there already know this. So, question is, or 2 questions now- #1, is there an easy way to rebuild a Craftsman, read worth it, and #2- what say out there is most accomodating for a rebuild/ rering? Stihl, Husky...............................
Both husky and sthil are pretty easy to rebuild lots of parts avable aftermarket parts as well. Not sure about the craftsman on if it would be worth it or not?

I'd buy myself a new pro grade saw....

Or pick up a used one somewhere............

If you do, you'll never go back.

THanks guys- kinda thinkin' the Stihl MS 250. would I be able to run a full chisel chain on it..............

WoodMann said:
THanks guys- kinda thinkin' the Stihl MS 250. would I be able to run a full chisel chain on it..............

I would think it would be just fine.

I'd go with a 16" bar and chain combo with that particular saw.

sl7vk said:
WoodMann said:

I would think it would be just fine.

I'd go with a 16" bar and chain combo with that particular saw.
I would go with atleast the ms 270 if you want to pull full chisel

Thanks again- I'm starting to think the 270 since I'm this far.............

WoodMann said:
Thanks again- I'm starting to think the 270 since I'm this far.............
also if you have a dolmer dealer near you the dolmer 5100 is a great buy at 399.00 (both 50 cc saws)270 is 419.00

Not only rebuildability, but also the ability to run a full chisel chain. I'm upto a semi- chisel now, but I'd like to go full chisel.............

WoodMann said:
Not only rebuildability, but also the ability to run a full chisel chain. I'm upto a semi- chisel now, but I'd like to go full chisel.............
ms 270 or dolmer both great saws full chisel should be good at 20 in bars

CHAIN TYPE any saw can run chisel, semi, or chipper, safety or non. As long as the gauge and pitch match, you can do anything. Not a question of hp or size. Most cutters have mutliple types of chains in the bin anyway. I use some full chisel, like on the limbing saws, but for bucking saw am going back to semi chisel. People especially AS board are almost fanatical on full chisel, but many are PNW timber cutters working in fresh green softwood. Full chisel in clean wood is 100% and great and makes a big difference with bigger bars especially. However, in dirty wood it drops its edge really fast. Dirty meaning not hit the dirt, but trees along farm fields, gravel roads, etc have a lot of grit blown into the bark and tree grows around it. Since much of what I get is that, or find an occasional nail or wire, I find the semi holds it edge better. I usually file every tank or two, but sometimes 2 or 3 tanks on semi.

REBUILD Stihl/Husky/Dolmar also make saws with the cylinder as part of the crankcase. Not so much a matter of name, but of the model number and design of the saw. Lower end, i.e built to consumer price points, will be integral cylinder and case half usually. So it depends on the model. I think the ones you referenced are integral cylinders.

Any saw can be rebuilt, it is just that for the integral cylinders it is usually not cost effective to do it. If the saw seizes, the piston can be changed, but if cyl is damageed, the saw is usually toast. On a higher saw, the cylinder is changed, without disturbing the bottom end, and life goes on. There is a manufacturing complexity and cost to that however.

Also, figure the tradeoff with hours of life vs. usage. To cut 10 hours a year, just buy a cheaper saw and keep plenty of synthetic oil in the mix, air filter clean, and it will run forever. If you never run it lean or get air leaks, you will never wear it out or need to rebuild it. Take the money saved and buy another one in 10 years. However, cutting a 100 hours a year, the balance changes. The money is well spent.

I think there is too much snob appeal from many expereienced people to many newbies. If you don't have a 346/5100/026 you are scum. In reality, when I started out I would have been in hog heaven with a nice 42 cc craftsman saw, compared to all the free junk I made do with. So don't let the ego and image get to you. Consider your real needs.

That said, I would never go back to the low end or maybe even mid range equpment. Even with decreasing use now, I love the lighter weight, quicker spool up, more nimble handling, better vibration isolation, easier to work on, fully adjustable carb, etc. Rebuildability is nice (my old 026 is on the third P&C;, second set of crank bearings, after maybe 20 years of use) but not a big issue to me anymore. There is a point where just having a precision tool makes the job fun, and that makes it worth while.
Buy what you really feel at one with when you hold it. Keep it tuned, sharp, and anything works great.

But I'd go with the 55cc pro level if there is only one saw in the plan. The extra cost is swallowed bitterly once, but the joy of using it continues a long time. And save some of the budgeted money for tools, equipment, spare parts, PPE, etc to properly maintain and use it.

k

I wouldn't bother rebuilding the Craftsman, assuming it's a semi-modern plastic saw. Rebuilding the clamshell crankcase saws isn't hard, just annoying to get the new rings into the bore since conventional ring compressors won't fit. Still, it is a disposable chainsaw and it makes precious little sense to put a piston/rings/cylinderhone into the process, at least to my mind.

As for an upgrade, the MS270/280 with a 16" bar makes for a super firewood saw.

Thanks for the perspective, Kevin. Fact is- I think I'm outgrowing this saw as well as it getting to the pont of needing a rebuild. My main use is cutting wood to heat the house, just stepping up to the semi- chisel chain from the soft safety chain made the saw that much more a pleasure to use. Now I'm reaching the point that it's becomming laborious again, which leads me to the rebuild. Reality is that I need to cut about 3 cords a season so I'm thinkin' as I would need to replace the saw I was gonna step up a bit and to a rebuildable, or more easily rebuildable unit..............

safety vs non safety is one issue. there are various safety chain designs, some worse than others, some very close in perf to non safety chain. 'safety' is of course a matter of degrees.

chipper-semi-full chisel is a totally separate decision. all are available either way, although full chisel safety is hard to find. oregon makes, stihl no longer lists it. you can run a full chisel on your saw if you choose. does not take any more power. try a loop and see. Try stihl or husky or local dealer, or baileys, amicks, or madsens on line. not the box store made in china stuff.

carlton has a great 30 pg site on chain design, tooth, maintenance, etc. don't have the address here. also oregon and stihl have good info.

your saw: is the compression strong, or is it tired and worn? I'm thinking you may not need a rebuild as much as you are getting accustomed to the saw and more skilled and have higher expectations from it. If that is the case, I'd tune up the poulan, try a good chain, and keep it aside for limbing and backup. Jump up quite a bit in size and get a really good saw. You won't regret it.

k

Hmm- yeah, size, skill an all of that. I'm taking all of this into consideration in making my final decision. Thanks again...........

Status
Not open for further replies.