Reburn tube positions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boisblancboy

Hearth Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Northern Michigan
Hey guys I have a lopi liberty and love it. But I notice toward the end of the burning season last year that my reburn tubes were loose and spinning. What position should they be? Should they be loose?

Sounds like the pin dropped out. Ping fossil for the details.

The tubes have anti-rotation roll pins through the right side receiver collars, but the pins are prone to falling out. The pin fell out from my front tube long ago, and I've done nothing about it. When I see that I've managed to bump my front tube out of proper orientation, I just use my poker to fiddle it around to about the right spot. The holes should "point" at about a 45° angle forward (toward the door) from straight down. It's unlikely that all three of your tubes have lost their pins, so just look at one that's not free to rotate. Ideally, they should all point (about) the same direction. Replacement pins are available from Travis Industries, but they make getting parts far more difficult than it ought to be with their dumb policy that nobody can sell anything out of their "territory" (hence, no online sales of Travis parts <>) . If you're lucky enough to have a really sharp local dealer, I envy you, and you should have no trouble getting factory replacement pins. Otherwise, just about anything of the approriate diameter that will stay in place will do the job. Folks have done this in a couple of ways with simple items from the local hardware store. If you have the owner's manual for the stove, look on pages 28 & 29 (at least in the 2007 manual). Rick

Could you put in a stainless cotter pin instead of the factory roll pin? Seems like that would stop them from falling out.

I think some folks have done just that, but I seem to recall that the hole in the receiver collar may only be drilled on the "front", so in order to use a cotter (the ideal solution), the hole would need to be drilled through the "rear" of the receiver collar. I'll take a close look at my stove, and I'll scan a page from the manual, and get back to you. Rick

Neither the reburn tube itself nor the collar into which it fits is drilled all the way through...just on one "side", then the roll pin is driven in, and it's of an appropriate length so that it can be driven "home" yet enough of it protrudes to allow removal with pliers. The biggest problem I see with modifying for a cotter is the orientation of the holes for the roll pins. The protruding ends of the pins are ~90° "back" from the reburn tube air holes, so about 45° back (toward the rear of the box) from straight down when the reburn tube is aligned...so trying to drill that hole the rest of the way through the burn tube and the collar would require working from inside the firebox back toward the top front. It would be a real beeyatch for anyone but a very small fictional character. I'm beginning to remember now why I just blew this whole thing off a few years back when I found my front tube free to rotate and am content repositioning my front tube with my poker from time to time when I notice it. Stove really doesn't seem to care one way or another. Rick

I have an Avalon 1190 Insert and my first tube got twisted when the pin was lost. I got one from the Ace Hardware store because I just needed one and at Lowes you need to get a package. Steal from one of the other tubes to match the new pin (less than a dollar). It is best to dress the new pin with a file before you install the new pin. Travis has a tool you can order from you dealer to use. I just used a small set of vice clamp pliers and a hammer but it is a trick to get it straight. Use a claw hammer not a little one or you will hit and hit and hit and it won’t work because the mass of the hammer moves the pin.

Robert

The biggest problem I see with modifying for a cotter is the orientation of the holes for the roll pins.

Sounds like a job for a smaller, right angle drill

Reactions: boisblancboy
That would facilitate things, but it would still be pretty awkward. I do know that it has been done successfully...exactly what tools were used I don't know.

Thank you all for the replies. My biggest concern was how the efficiency was affected. But I'll pick up some pins and get them back into position.

Status
Not open for further replies.