Recap for myself and other newcomers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I just wanted to verify what I've learned and practicing is correct. Other new people might like to see all the basics put together,

This one I'm still unclear on. I have a friend who doesn't believe me about the magnet thermos.
On single wall pipe, the outside temp gets doubled for inside flue gas temps, I.E. 300 magnet= 600 actual inside temp

Closing down the primary air in stages and allowing the fire to get well established works better for most users

Try multiple loading combination's to see what works for you e/w vs n/s or both

No smoke after fire is established means burning clean

get used to higher stove top temps than you might originally thought 550-650, This one was hard to do but now I'm comfortable when the stove hits 650f not that often for me. I cruise around 550-600f

Routine chimney inspections

Dry wood 20%mc or less

multiple small splits = hot and fast fire

a few larger splits = longer and a bit cooler?

Yes you can burn pine after good seasoning (burns very hot and fast be careful)

unsplit rounds seem to be the fav for overnight burning

oak needs 2 years to season properly. I know there are variables here just an average from what I've read.

ash seasons fast and burns well

I know there's more but the first 5 I found the most useful.

Thanks Hearth.com for making another safe and happy wood burner who now uses less wood and has more heat.

Happy Holidays everyone :)

You've passed this test. Now wait for the finals, which usually happens just before summer recess.

Merry Christmas

Nice summary. You have learned well, Grasshopper!

Just remember that unsplit rounds take longer to season so make sure they are ready to burn. Another alternative is to split bigger slabs for your over night burns.

By George I think he's got it. ;)

I'm very happy that i've found this forum and thankful for the members that share their valuable knowledge with others.

I've also gotten over my fear of the 500 degree mark, I'm running my stove like never before and now have more control over my firebox than ever before. I've barely scratched the surface of valuable info here, there is so much to learn!

Hats off to The staff and the mentors and happy holidays to all!

-Bob

There's one that you left out...

Don't futz around with the fire! Learn how to build a fire that you don't have to mess with it. Light it, close the door, and leave the door closed. Frequently opening the door to mess with the fire is just asking for burns and a smelly house.

-SF

After months of reading and reading and reading and trying it out, I'm so excited and I just can't hide it.
New stove next year. Replacing the non EPA stove, I will have two EPA ones running reducing wood consuption even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.