Recommend me a moisture meter (and thermometer to boot)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exmasonite

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2010
Novi, MI
Hey all. So, just spent about 20 minutes with the search function and didn't have a lot of luck finding info on moisture meters.

Can people recommend me a decent moisture meter? Hoping to keep it under $40-50 unless strongly advised to look higher.

Also, thoughts on recommendations for decent thermometer for the stove? Saw the thread on the IR thermometers and wondering if that'll be a better way to figure out the thermodynamics and air flow in the new house. (Still working on best way to move heat around house, etc).

Does those IR thermometers detect ambient/air temp or do they have to be directed at a surface? Looking for something to pick up drafts, etc.

Thanks!

Exmasonite said:
Hey all. So, just spent about 20 minutes with the search function and didn't have a lot of luck finding info on moisture meters.

Can people recommend me a decent moisture meter? Hoping to keep it under $40-50 unless strongly advised to look higher.

Also, thoughts on recommendations for decent thermometer for the stove? Saw the thread on the IR thermometers and wondering if that'll be a better way to figure out the thermodynamics and air flow in the new house. (Still working on best way to move heat around house, etc).

Does those IR thermometers detect ambient/air temp or do they have to be directed at a surface? Looking for something to pick up drafts, etc.

Thanks!

Hey EM,

Good for you for trying search. I typed in "moisture meters", limited the search to tiles, and voila:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/59943/

Looks like folks like Harbor Freight’s $12 unit.

Regarding the IR thermometer, they don't measure the temperature of free air, but of a surface, some being limited to 10' max range. I don't think that's a significant limitation, since a normal thermometer measures air temps. Anyway, folks can correct me, but I imagine to find drafts one would try to narrow things down by walking around and feeling out cold spots, then use the gun to find the coldest spot(s) in the room--and that's where the draft is, insulation is missing, or something. And of course scanning seals in doors and window, seams in wall, baseboard, etc? Right? It sounds pretty fun.

The moisture meter I chose: http://www.beanworthy.com/General-Tools-MMD4E-Digital-Moisture-Meter/A/B00275F5O2.htm

The IR meter I chose works fine, but I tend to watch my flue temps (http://www.condar.com/probe_meters_dir4use_woodstoves.html) and the fire itself, to "read" how things are going. Condar makes a fairly stable product, overall, "IMHO."

For stove top models, I like: http://www.condar.com/stove_top_meters.html

And my IR is: http://www.amazon.com/Raytek-MT6-No...0B5M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1292061160&sr=8-7

-Soupy1957

I got the General meter for around $38 at amazon. The $12 harbor freight one had a lot of bad reviews. One thing I noticed, though, is that this meter reads low, I think. I have 11 month wood, and it's reading about 15%, inside a fresh split. It could very well be that a very dry hot summer under cover did dry it out nice, but.......

Anyway, I like it, and as long as you know this, and adjust. It should still work really good for relative measurements.

This is what I use:

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

image_3578.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_78059-56005...pl=1&currentURL;=/pl__0__s?Ntt=moisture+meter

681035414477xl.jpg

Probe_FlueGard-large.jpg

Sorry, I didn't see all the bad Harbor Freight reviews...most I saw were good. I bought both the IR thermometer and the moisture meter and am very happy with both. Got both when discounted at local store, so no shipping charge and lower cost.

Treacherous, that's the same Moisture meter I have. Have you noticed readings that seem off to the low side? Or does it seem pretty accurate? Either way, I like it.

Treacherous, that's the same Moisture meter I have. Have you noticed readings that seem off to the low side? Or does it seem pretty accurate? Either way, I like it.

clr8ter said:

I'm not really sure about overall accuracy but the wood I have tested at 15-18% has burned really well in my stove.

I have one that is made by "General" not sure what model sorry.
Black and yellow.
Works good, but rarely ever use it.
I just pile the wood up, when i need it split it and it burns great.
When i have split some i have tested it for moisture, its usually 16 to 18%

I just ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Raytek-MT6-No...0B5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292176692&sr=8-1 .

Raytek is a Fluke company and makes Fluke's Infrared temperature non-contact guns.. I trust my life to Fluke as my work multimeter is a Fluke 87 V and my home one is a Fluke 89.. I also use a Fluke 2 channel scope at work.. I expect the Raytek to work well and they come with a 2 year limited warranty.. For moisture I just use an elcheapo unit with bar segments and 2 ranges bought from Harbor Freight, works good enough for firewood..

Ray

That Raytek looks suspiciously like my Harbor Freight model (pictured by someone else above). Similar range, too. My HF moisture meter has a digital readout, not bars.

DanCorcoran said:
That Raytek looks suspiciously like my Harbor Freight model (pictured by someone else above). Similar range, too. My HF moisture meter has a digital readout, not bars.

Fluke is a name I trust and have used their instruments for many years.. They are similar as they are mostly a gun shaped affair.. Raytek has been around a long time and Fluke owns them so I think they should be good.. I'm sure what you bought is fine I just preferred this one..

If I ever bought another moisture meter I would want one with a large digital readout instead of the bargraph..

Ray

Agreed, raybonz. Not trying to put down your Raytek. In this day and age, so many products are made in the same factories in China or using the same basic components, but in different factories. With most of my non-critical purchases these days (those which I have no way of researching via websites, Consumer Reports, etc.), I tend to buy from a company with a solid refund policy, then start at the bottom and work up. If I get junk, I return it and buy the next higher quality.

DanCorcoran said:
Agreed, raybonz. Not trying to put down your Raytek. In this day and age, so many products are made in the same factories in China or using the same basic components, but in different factories. With most of my non-critical purchases these days (those which I have no way of researching via websites, Consumer Reports, etc.), I tend to buy from a company with a solid refund policy, then start at the bottom and work up. If I get junk, I return it and buy the next higher quality.

Hey Dan no offense taken.. I see that some only paid about $20.00 and that's a great deal! Harbor Freight is about a 45 min. ride from here and if I could have gotten that deal online I would have .. I like buying many smaller items online especially with free or low cost shipping but something like a woodstove I'd rather buy in person.. BeGreen recommended one that had some great features for a little less money http://www.amazon.com/ATD-701-Non-c...4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1292192330&sr=1-14 (also at Amazon) and I was very tempted but decided on tha Raytek..

Ray

Thanks for all the info everybody. I see myself headed to the local lowes and harbor freight to get my hands on these things. Glad i asked b/c i'd probably have started at the local stove shop which i'd imagine would have higher prices.

No opinion or thoughts on moisture meters.

Thermometers.

Magnetic thermometer (Condar brand) for my stove top.

Probe thermometer (Condar brand) for my double wall pipe.

Cen Tech (from Harbor Freight) to confim the stove top temp, beam my wife and tell her she's hot, use the IR laser beam as a cat toy.

Exmasonite said:
Recommend me a moisture meter (and thermometer to boot)

I recommend that you get neither. About 50% of all threads in the "WoodShed" are started with some version of the following, "My MM says 18% but this wood sizzles and won't burn" or something like like. I'm starting to think MM cause wetness.

And thermometers? That's easy: if you're cold stoke up the fire. If your hot close the fire down and open a window.

If you have a reasonably decent digital multimeter (or might want to get one, as it has a lot more uses than a moisture meter) that will measure resistance up to 20 megohms, take that, Google up the US Forest Service chart on resistance/moisture/ species, drive some small unplated nails into your wood sample at the appropriate depth/ spacing-- and you can get approximate moisture levels that are almost bound to be more accurate than a cheap moisture meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.