Recommend me an axe/hatchet to use on logs to make small splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Our wooden hatchet/axe broke. It was old school, made out of wood....duct taped TWO TOO MANY times, I'm ready to give it up (Yes, contemplating the idea of buying a new handle, but for a few bucks more, I prefer to get a good one).

Only use is for splitting the logs we have into smaller splits.

I have my eye on the Gerber 45905 Camp Axe, but willing to listen to other suggestions others may have. Something light, basic, and relatively inexpensive. Home depot had SQUAT!

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-45905-...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1262914994&sr=8-2

Soadrocks said:
Our wooden hatchet/axe broke. It was old school, made out of wood....duct taped TWO TOO MANY times, I'm ready to give it up (Yes, contemplating the idea of buying a new handle, but for a few bucks more, I prefer to get a good one).

Only use is for splitting the logs we have into smaller splits.

I have my eye on the Gerber 45905 Camp Axe, but willing to listen to other suggestions others may have. Something light, basic, and relatively inexpensive. Home depot had SQUAT!

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-45905-...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1262914994&sr=8-2

You're going to get a LOT of responses. An Ax thread around here is like an oil thread on a car or motorcycle forum.

You don't want an axe at all. What you want is a splitting maul. They aren't light weight. They split by virtue of their shape. They have a wide backside, and the wedge shape drives into the wood, causing it to split along natural fault lines. You'll be much happier and much more successful at splitting wood if you ditch your axe and get something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200325115_200325115

(And practice using it correctly.)

BTW - I'm practically your neighbor; I live in Canandaigua.

-Speak

Hey Mr. Canandaigua!

Small world! I don't like those long handles, maybe it's because I'm so use to the 17 inch handle range. I prefer light weight too so the wife can enjoy the fun as well. She likes to think shes tough, but we bought a 36" handle 8lber and I didn't like it, and there is no way the wife could use it. Something simple. We're just splitting seasoned wood. Don't need anything too tough. We're both young as well, so even a few knots we can handle too with a short camper axe.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just looking for a few opinions.

I prefer to ask the pros, and the well-seasoned veterans than just buy on the go like I did recently. We just returned it tonight.

FISKARS. Google it, go to Sears or ACE... IMHO the best splitting axes I have ever used. LOTS of us use them here in Montana. I have the smaller splitting axe for my woodroom to split the quarters that end up being a bit too big,or to make kindling with and then I have the splitting maul for the outdoor big round work to get those into quarters, Lifetime guarantee and great design, best handle I have used so far. You can generate so much axe head speed with these and the pro splitting axe does not get stuck and simply blows wood apart. Way better head design than any I have used and I have used a few in my life.

+1 Amazon usually has good prices on the FISKARS stuff. Light, effective, bulletproof. Buy it, and if you don't like it return it.

S

Forget about using those dangerous straight handles. Find an axe with a nice curved handle. For the first 50 years of my life, that's all I ever used. Now I use 20 tons for everything but kin'lin and resplits.

Soadrocks , which Fiskars did you get?

Well I hope you wanted the smallest one they offer... you bought the one that I have for SMALL splitting and making kindling indoor. It is a straight head design (no flares on the splitting area to push wood apart. Its like a normal axe head shape. Check the ACE hardware online store and just type in FISKARS in the search window.

I just checked and here is what they have in stock. A Pro chopping axe 28" handle and the same head like the one you bought a 2 pounder.
then the 28" Super splitting axe. That is a 4.25 lb head and has the raised portions on the head that blows the big rounds apart and keeps the head from gettng stuck. I just hope the smaller 17" handle and normal axe head is what you wanted!

If you need the bigger option for sweet splitting of bigger sections and heavy wet rounds..go for the Super Splitting Axe.

here is a quick link: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3496898&kw=fiskars&origkw=fiskars

It's just for making splits out of stacked, seasoned wood. I wanted something light, and a shorter handle. I don't like those 28" handles. I'm not chopping stumps or anything like that. Just trying to make simple splits. It looks pretty similar to the old school one I have been using. Should be good, right?

Depends on what you're splitting. My 17" is one of my workhorses. I make all my kindling with it. I love it. It is a splitting tool...with the wedge shape forged into the head. It's a one-handed tool, with just enough head weight and handle length to make the job a pleasure. BUT...if you're talking about splitting rounds much bigger than about 6" diameter, you might want to think about one of the longer-handled, two-handed models. Depends on the type of wood (how hard), the size of the piece to be split, and what you're comfortable with. Rick

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...1&langId;=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10277

Attachments

• fiskars.jpg
    fiskars.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 322

Attachments

• Fiskars17splittingaxe7856.jpg
    Fiskars17splittingaxe7856.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 302
Yes, that's the one....I'm looking to split logs like the picture above, if not smaller. I'm just splitting stacked, seasoned wood. I'm guessing seasoned wood is easier to split than green wood. Worst case scenario, I upgrade to the 23.5 handle if the 17" doesn't work. I'm a short dude, but I'm a young buck with a lot of power. Wait and see I guess. Because of this site, I know Fiskar is the way to go, so I know im getting quality, just need to wait and see if I'm getting what's best for my needs. Worst case scenario, this can be our camping axe and I'll go ahead and get the 23.5 if this doesn't work out. I'm hoping the 17" is good enough. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Great!!! Hope it works well for your needs...and your right Fiskars knows their stuff and make a great product. Good Luck!

Soadrocks said:
I actually bought the 23.5 inch one at Sears today. I guess the 17" will be for camping in Lake George! The 23.5 inch is PERFECT! I love it!

That's one I don't have, but considering how you described your intent to use it, and my experience with the Fiskars tools I do have, I can understand how pleased you are with it. Rick

ETA: You'll like the 17" as well, I guarantee.

Soadrocks, the 23.5 is the length I have in the Super Splitting head....its perfect for me as I am 6'0 with long arms and can generate some serious speed with this one, and I like the shorter Handle vs the 28 inch. I also have the 17 inch axe for the kindling.

If you have a welder and a metal guy you can build the same on that I did. Get a head cut that is about 3" at the back end and about4" long cut to a triangle. Weld it to a 2' piece of pipe. It is a great splitter for small stuff and I've even muscled it through big wood. This is built off the monster maul theory. It works.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.