1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

recommendation for air purifier

Post in 'The Gear' started by gregbesia, Jan 11, 2013.

1. gregbesia

gregbesia Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central CT
    Does anyone use air filter /purifier in the winter to try to reduce dust in the house? We have a wood insert in our living room and while we love the wood heat and the savings in oil, I was wondering if there is any thing that may help with dust control. As always thanks for any help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. loudog

loudog Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I just posted this up, semi-related. Has made a huge difference in our dust issue.
  3. gregbesia

gregbesia Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central CT
    Thanks a lot. I was worried that I won't get any responses. :)
  4. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    We have a lot of dust/hair/crap in the air too. I don't think much is from the stove. We've got dogs, and the amount of hair is ridiculous.
    This is the one we got. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/honeywell-quietclean-air-purifier-hfd-123-hd.html#.UOxUaneE5zc
    The day after turning it on, the congestion in the back of my throat was almost gone. It's actually too small for the space, but does quite a good job. We plan to get another soon.
    I also notice that if I forget to clean the pre-filter every couple-3 days, the congestion is more noticable.
  5. gregbesia

gregbesia Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central CT
    Thanks PapaD, i will look into this as well.
  6. chris5150

chris5150 New Member

Loc:
    East Central WI
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

I bought a $$ Orick one a few years back (was around $350) and ended up returning it after the couple month trial period was done. I honestly didn't notice any difference with it running or not other than my power bill went up a bit.

The best thing I have found for dust in the winter is wiping everything down with a microfiber rag and some pledge every few weeks.
  8. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
  9. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    Did some research and in the price range we are at(under $200) we just picked up a Sharp Plasmacluster last night. I learned a bit while researching...like didn't know there was a difference between a hepa filter and a hepa type filter....the CADR ratings don't tell the whole story, etc. Should know in a few days if what we got was the right choice.