Recommendation? High Temp Mat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jcbmv11

Jan 6, 2023
Sturbridge, MA
I am looking for a high temp mat that I can lay in front of the door to my wood stove. The purpose is to catch the occasional falling ember as I open the stove door. It should be something rather small (like a door mat), and good looking because it will be permanent in my home. Thanks!

They sell hearth pads but they can be a bit expensive. Some of the simple ones are not too bad - do a search for "hearth pad". I made one with the help of my handy guy. There were code specifications that came with my stove and we built it to meet these specifications. It is a plywood panel covered with cement board which I tiled with river rock. It would have been less expensive if I'd used a simpler tile. There are various Youtube videos with variations on this idea.
IMG_1974.JPG

I am looking for a high temp mat that I can lay in front of the door to my wood stove. The purpose is to catch the occasional falling ember as I open the stove door. It should be something rather small (like a door mat), and good looking because it will be permanent in my home. Thanks!
There are inexpensive stove boards that can fulfill this purpose. What stove is this for? Is the stove itself on a hearth?

Our hearth is large enough` that the doors on the stove are over the hearth when open but we have a hearth rug in frt. of the stone hearth. It's a half circle and I think my wife got it on Amazon, we have enough hearth but it looks nice and would protect the floor if we burned with the front open.

A rug does not qualify. The extension must be fixed in place and non-combustible. A sheet of metal would work. It can be cut to size with the corners radiused.
If the plan is to run the stove with the doors open then there are more restrictions. The stove needs an 8" flue, screen, and 1" hearth protection. Follow the manual's guidance.

The Encore may be used as a fireplace with the front doors open or removed, BUT only when it is equipped with 8” (203 mm) stove pipe and only when the optional spark screen is secured correctly in the opening to protect against the possibility of sparks and embers leaving the stove. The test standard for your stove when it is operated in this mode is UL 737. 1” floor protection is also required. Refer to “Floor Protection” section on Pages 9 - 10.

Use only the Encore spark screen, Item #1907, with your Encore.

Last edited: