Recommended piping layout.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosestache

Apr 11, 2008
Southern Maine
I am in the process of getting a woodgun boiler to install along with my current oil boiler. I plan on no water storage for the foreseeable future. I am now trying to figure out the piping layout for it, but I keep seeing different, often conflicting opinions on how best to lay it out.

I originally planned to have the cold water returning from my existing oil system sent directly into the wood boiler, then have the heated water coming out of the wood boiler travel, more or less, directly into the oil boiler. I then heard this wasn't optimal because you, I guess, spend a lot of heat, heating up, the inactive oil boiler. Is that true? and if so, how would you all recommend doing it differently.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Yes that is true. There are a few threads around on the subject. The good news is it should not be too hard to change from series set up to parallel. My system took 2 zone valves, 4 hours of my time, and a few pieces of pipe to change.

oil boiler could be switched on manually or with a setpoint control to sense temperature on supply piping. Check piping on 3 way for correct orientation, drawing is conceptual :)

Attachments

• Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 398
MoS - What is the purpose of the globe valves on both sides of the thermastatic valve. Is the pump by the wood boiler in the right position, it appears to me it would want to push water the wrong way from the thermo valve. Shouldn't it be below the tee. Just asking and trying to learn. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.