Red Pine? Possible good score.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
A guy at work lost a couple of huge pine trees behind his house to the last storm. He brought in a couple of rounds (see pic). I'm thinking Red Pine from the size and the bark. The really exciting thing is that he has over a cord of the same stuff split and stacked for a couple of years and his wife has been after him to get rid of it because she heard it starts chimney fires and will not let him burn it. He wants to know if I want it and if so would I mind if he started bringing it over tonight? Too good to be true?

Attachments

• red pine.jpg
    red pine.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: blacktail
Looks more like Hemlock.

looks 'free' and to the door win win win.

Go for it, if indeed it is red pine, makes nice shoulder season or quick warm fire wood. I had two large red pines taken down over a year and a-half ago and have been burning it all winter.

Reactions: Bobbin
A few years ago we had a big, multi-trunked red maple professionally removed and along with it a few red pines. There was a lot of spousal grousing that it was "junk" but we split it anyway. It was sticky to handle but it's great firewood and dries pretty quickly. I love having it in the stacks, as it catches quickly and will "goose" a fire nicely; handy when some of the red oak is still not fully seasoned.

Grab it!

Here is what was waiting for me behind my building this morning. If there really is a cord this will get me through the spring and fall shoulder seasons. As per the advice above, I am grabbing it.

Attachments

• pine 2.jpg
    pine 2.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 119
Looks more like Hemlock.
I looked at a range map and agree that Hemlock is more likely. I just checked a fresh split with the MM... 15.2! Scooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.