Red pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Burning Hunk
Jun 6, 2017
NH
Can someone tell me if this is red pine? I mostly have white pine here but do have a few of these. Located in southern New Hampshire.

F0948B60-B8B2-4FFE-9E6C-2022A289E95C.jpeg 05830398-C6E8-4440-B15C-D36EDB45CA61.jpeg

Looks like to to me. Usually they grow in stands.

Looks like one or similar. That's a big one.

Red(Norway) are similar to ponderosa, but ponderosa are found in the west unless planted.

Austrian pine (P. nigra) bark is darker with a fuller, denser crown.
Red pine (P. resinosa) bark has some tinge of red, and its form is tall (90'), with clear trunk with and an oval crown (small short branches extending off of main trunk) giving it a 'bottle-brush' appearance.

Pick a live fascicle. Both are 2-needled fascicles of same length (4"-6"), but the red pine needles will break cleanly (snap) when bent. It's a good, quick distinguishing characteristic (D.C.) to ID between the two.

Thanks for the help!

Looks similar to red pine.

We don't have red pine here ( unless they were planted )

white pine = needle bunch of 5
pitch pine = needle bunch of 3
red pine = needle bunch o 2