Redesigning my wood stove alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

linaknits

Oct 4, 2018
Rochester, NY
Hello all,

I'm hopeful some of the experts here can help me. We have moved into a new house with a Vermont Castings Vigilant wood stove (house was built in 1982). I love the idea of having a wood stove or wood burning insert
fireplace, but I find this current alcove/surround thing huge (it is 8 feet wide and 7.5 feet high) and it intrudes into the room thanks to the raised, semi-circular hearth. (The alcove is brick that the former owners painted white; no idea if paint is heat rated).

I would like to change the surround to look something like the second picture. What I don't know is whether I should be trying to keep the current Vigilant or to replace it. It depends on stove's condition for sure, which I hope the inspection will reveal, but I'm thinking the stove might be too much for our needs (see note below). The Vigilant manual says the minimum side clearance is 14 inches if the walls are properly fireproofed. And I'm assuming something can be done to fireproof an enclosure for the stove pipe so that I can have a mantel.

I have a guy from a local chimney company coming out to inspect the Vigilant and talk to me about what might be possible with the surround. What do I need to keep in mind at this appointment? Is my idea even possible for under $10k? Are there options you think would be better than my idea? What should I consider when deciding whether to keep the old stove and redesign or get a new one?

Also, what kind of company does this sort of work? I'd like to have multiple estimates. I've been in touch with a general contractor (who is willing to do the work but freely admits he knows nothing about fireplaces--makes me nervous!) and a mason specializing in chimneys (who won't give me the time of day). Local wood stove dealers won't do it either (even if I buy a new stove from them) and haven't been able to give me names of folks who would do it. The only person who seems at all interested is this chimney repair firm which also does inspections and installations. They are coming out later this month.

More info: House used to be heated solely with wood stove and baseboard heat, but former owners installed a heat pump system with vents (those are the holes you see near the ceiling) a few years ago and said they no longer used wood stove or baseboards. Heat pump is all-electric and we're thinking of installing solar eventually to assist with energy costs. So wood stove would be mostly supplemental heat and aesthetics.

Thanks for your input!
Lina

602taylor5.jpg Awesome-Rustic-Regency-Traditional-Wood-Burning-Fireplace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like most stock photos, the second pic isn’t code compliant.
I think the current set up is pretty nice looking. With the more open design, heat will flow more freely and is safer. Some stoves allow smaller alcoves, but not enough to justify the big expense.
What about refacing the walls inside the alcove, bring the header down a few feet and add some can lights inside the alcove? Then find a nice modern stove that’s approved for an alcove installation.

Like most stock photos, the second pic isn’t code compliant.
I think the current set up is pretty nice looking. With the more open design, heat will flow more freely and is safer. Some stoves allow smaller alcoves, but not enough to justify the big expense.
What about refacing the walls inside the alcove, bring the header down a few feet and add some can lights inside the alcove? Then find a nice modern stove that’s approved for an alcove installation.
Thanks for your suggestions! If I brought the header down, do you think I could mount a mantle there? I like the idea of just refacing the inside.

If changing the header height pay attention to stove specific clearances from the top of the stove.

Reactions: linaknits
Thanks for your suggestions! If I brought the header down, do you think I could mount a mantle there? I like the idea of just refacing the inside.
It will depend on the stove you choose.

Most stoves require significant height over the stove in an alcove. That second photo is no where close to safe. That wood lintel/mantel would get extremely hot and pyrolize. Keep in mind the top of the stove is anywhere from 300-700 degrees...

Yes, a lot of stove beauty pictures are photoshoppped.

my wife and I have the exact same pic Pinterested as a future project for our hearth too. Our fireplace and hearth is pretty darn ugly, this modern white shiny white tile thing, but we had a Vermont Castings Encore installed into the existing fireplace, and it's grown on me. At least you're starting with something that's already alcovy!

IMG_20180417_190637.jpg

The carpet looks too close to the front. There should be 16" of hearth in front of the stove door.

Reactions: mdrew
Well, I had the existing stove cleaned (it was a mess!) and got the opinion of the contractor. Mason from the chimney company not interested in doing anything major with this alcove--suggested refacing the brick and adding can lights, which he was willing to do. I will see what guy #2 has to say. I just can't get excited about researching different stone/brick facings because I can't find any pics of wood stove alcoves that I like (aside from the fantasy code-breaking pic I posted first). Every pic I like is basically a fireplace with a wood stove stuck in it. I guess stove alcoves aren't my thing--much prefer the look of a traditional fireplace hearth with mantel. I will have to see how feasible it is to do a demo on the existing alcove/stove, build a new hearth, and get a wood-burning insert.

Building a full fireplace would be expensive and overkill.

You may be able to make an alcove like you want with some constraints. The alcove would need to be constructed with metal studs and covered with cement backer board. You would need to choose a stove that has a low clearance req. above it. The mantel might need to be non-combustible.

Another alternative would be to install a good looking EPA zero clearance fireplace.